Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought my wife a 2006 convertible and have been reading about how they can have issues with ecu failures, the suggestion is they fail because they are subjected to the heat and vibration of the engine , which sounds plausible.
I have found a gentleman in Sydney Australia who sells an insulating kit to protect the ecu, which also sounds plausible.
My question is are these kits a good idea, and if so why didn't Saab use a version of them.
I would appreciate your thoughts.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If it's cheap and easy to fix on, why not give it a go?

I think by 2006 SAAB (or whoever called themselves SAAB by then) had pretty much given up

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe the kit costs about $100 which would be cheap insurance, but the only place I have heard if it is on a utube site, by the place selling it and a facebook site, if it is the solution to a common problem it is either a well kept secret in the Saab world, or not the answer it suggests it is.
I have read a suggestion the ecu is bolted to the manifold to cool it, which makes the kit counterproductive.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I believe the kit costs about $100 which would be cheap insurance, but the only place I have heard if it is on a utube site, by the place selling it and a facebook site, if it is the solution to a common problem it is either a well kept secret in the Saab world, or not the answer it suggests it is.
I have read a suggestion the ecu is bolted to the manifold to cool it, which makes the kit counterproductive.
100 does seem a lot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Remember, insulation only slows the movement of heat, it doesn't stop it. Given the amount of time heat exists in the engine compartment, I would bet the kit is a waste of time and money.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting you say that I have come to the same conclusion, the idea of the kit is it insulates the ecu from the inlet manifold but it it is still subjected to the hot air coming thru the radiator and when the motor is turned off it is still sitting in a hot engine bay, the only way to protect it from the heat would be to fit a box around it and feed it with cool air.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have bought two of these kits. They are well made and remember they combat ibration and heat. They are good value and from a guy who knows Saab inside out. Also recall, these ECUs are seeled with resin and can't be repaired. No new ones are out there and even though I have a couple as spares, who knows how long they will last. For $100, its pretty cheap insurance to overcome a stupid GM idea of mounted the ecu on the Engine!. If your ecu fails and you can't replace , your car is dead. Only alternative is to get a $2000plus generic racing ecu and get someone who knows how to pair it into your Saab... not easy with the CIM etc. Depends if your a gambler I suppose! Hippo Saabing anyway "oldjocktom.:):cool::cool:

·
Registered
3 Posts
If it's cheap and easy to fix on, why not give it a go?

I think by 2006 SAAB (or whoever called themselves SAAB by then) had pretty much given up
Given up.. not not until 2012 and is now called NEVS and makes Saab designed 9-3 hybrids/electric cars in China ( 200,00 are running today as far as I recall). And while stubborn expat UK types like me living in Sydney, SAAB 95, 99, 900, 9000, 9-3 and 9-5s will keep on rolling... And I think I will not be alone given the number of sites/groups etc that operate on social media these days!:):p🚗🚕🚗🚕🚗🚘🛩🛩🛩

·
Registered
54 Posts
Given up.. not not until 2012 and is now called NEVS and makes Saab designed 9-3 hybrids/electric cars in China ( 200,00 are running today as far as I recall). And while stubborn expat UK types like me living in Sydney, SAAB 95, 99, 900, 9000, 9-3 and 9-5s will keep on rolling... And I think I will not be alone given the number of sites/groups etc that operate on social media these days!:):p🚗🚕🚗🚕🚗🚘🛩🛩🛩
I have had 3 saabs, 9000CDT, 95 Estate and now a 93 aero convertible

It is noticeable that the quality was on a descending slope. The 9000 was put together like a rolls royce, the 93 put together more like a Vauxhall

SAAB clearly were slowly giving up, in as much as the SAAB ethos was being eroded by GM until the end.

I am happy with my 2005 93, although the electronic technology is pretty flaky and unreliable. For £2300 back in February I got a good looking car that is a bit different though.

I would have kept the 95 but it needed a new clutch a t£650+ (I can't change clutches in a London street) and also as a year 2000 car it was going to fail the new emission tests coming in next year

Luckily I do most of my own other mechanics. Otherwise I'd be well in debt by now!

N

1 - 9 of 9 Posts