Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I was to get hold of a spare ecu would I have to get one from another aero which has traction control as my car does?

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Yes.

You can get either an Aero TCS or a 2.3T Tcs ECU and plug it straight in, But I think you'll need a non VSS (vehicle security system) one.

Andrew.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Originally posted by ZARS:
[qb]If I was to get hold of a spare ecu would I have to get one from another aero which has traction control as my car does? [/qb][/b]
As Andrew said, if your car has Saab VSS(IIRC standard on Aero's after MY95 and optional before that), then a spare ECU is not going to be of any use, as the engine won't start. The ECU is individually programmed for the VIN of each car so, the 'spare' ECU would have to be re-programmed for your VIN.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Actually, it would only be a problem if the donor car had VSS. It's the Trionic ECU that refuses to start the engine if its VSS is not disarmed. If the ECU doesn't have VSS, then it doesn't matter what the rest of the VSS system says, the ECU will start the engine regardless.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Even if the spare ecu came out a car with VSS could it not be re-programmed to my car using Tech-2?

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Originally posted by ZARS:
[qb]Even if the spare ecu came out a car with VSS could it not be re-programmed to my car using Tech-2? [/qb][/b]
I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it can't be done by Tech2.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Originally posted by aeropilot:
[qb]I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it can't be done by Tech2. [/qb][/b]
I'm pretty sure it can (because that's what Giles @ Abbott told me I'd have to do if I moved my ECU to a new car - as it turned out, I'm repairing this one instead so I haven't had to do it)

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
As I understand it, all the ECUs for post MY94 9ks are physically the same i.e. they have the same components. What varies is the software, which can be re-programmed. You can even use a MY94- ECU in a MY93 car (like I am doing the mo ).

Cars with VSS have different part nos for their ECUs compared to those that don't, and this may be because Tech 2 isn't capable of re-progamming it, but it also may just be to make swapping them over easier.

Not all of the (re)programming that can be done to the ECUs is within the capability of Tech 2 e.g. re-mapping, but that obviously doesn't mean that it can't be done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts