Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
The EcoPowers (or LPT's) are good cars.

I used to own a lovely 1991 9000 2.0i, but found it to struggle with that engine. I also had a CS 2.0 LPT which was a lot better, especially in mid range acceleration.

However, it does depend what you're after - the LPT gives you a taste of some power, and I found myself wanting more of the same. I now have the 2.3T Carlsson, which has excellent mid range (believe 50-70 in 5th is sub 5 seconds).

The standard Full Pressure 2.3 Turbo's put out 200BHP, but Aero's and CS Carlssons put out 225BHP. "Classic" 9000 2.3 Carlssons such as mine are slightly lower at 220BHP.

There are also Full Pressure 2.0 Turbo's (these tend to be up to about 1990) which I think are 175BHP, and a bit more for a 2.0 Carlsson (can't remember the power).

I have got above 28mpg on a long run in the Carlsson (could possibly get over 30 with a very light foot), though in normal driving this is closer to 25.

If you want the speed & power, go for the Carly or Aero, if you want a little more economy, go for the standard 2.3T's.

As for the Eco, "it does what it says on the label" ;-) I got more like 30mpg out of mine, with 35mpg (more with very light foot) on long runs.

Believe 2.0 Eco is group 14 insurance, and Aero's and Carlsson's are 17. (I think).

I do not regret buying my 2.3T Carlsson. Sell the house and get the Aero! ;-)

Kevin Mc

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips gents. Any photos or info on the 2.3 T would be appreciated sevenman.can't say as i'd seen the ad. My current car is a 93 K 2.3i CSE which has all the trimmings..all wood centre, ACC, computer, leccy seats with memory etc and I love it to bits. Sadly, the auto is not liked by the missus (so I've got to swap!!) and saps too much of the 150 bhp it still musters at 177,000(still under dealers warrenty for another 14 months). It's had loads done but I just fancy a bit more excitement . I'm open to ideas on age as e all know it's condition that matters. Must admit a black one really appeals.
Thanks gents
Anthony

·
Registered
753 Posts
I can send you photos or more info, but I would need your e-mail address to do so.

Its is the CDS 2.3 Turbo, so it has all the toys, and the 200bhp engine.

It has 109k miles, and I believe it has many more left.

Dark Metallic Blue and blue leather, as shown in photos.....

FSH, inc. 5 month oil/filter changes for the last couple of years. All bills/records since 96 when it was bought from Cardiff Saab.

It has a new Alarm and immobiliser fitted, as well as an all new sound system with CD changer.

If you want any more info, feel free to mail me on:

[email protected]

Gavin

·
Registered
208 Posts
Interesting comments about the lpt.
Not sure about economy, I get more like 25 round town and maybe up to 30 on a long journey. kprm77, you must have a light right foot!

I'd like a bit more power so an 2.3 would be nice but there is suprisingly little turbo lag in the lpt and I can still spin the wheels in second on a wet road so it will do for now:)

·
Registered
753 Posts
re: Economy

I used to get 25 if I was doing short journeys, and 30 or so for medium length trips.

I managed 42 for a couple of hundred miles... but only by driving at 55 - 60 mph

After a holiday in France last year, cruising at 90 resulted in 30 ish economy.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi all! As talk about eingines and BHPs goes on I want to ask: Reffering to VIN mine has D(=Turbo Model); 6(=5CS body); 8(=4-Speed Auto); M(=B234 Turbo, B234L eingine). Btw, I also found the Intercooler installed. Does this mean I have FPT? (How to see the diference LPT/FPT?) And keeping in mind it is 2.3, how much BHP it must have? Thanx!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.