Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

It's been a while since I posted on this champion site!

Perusing A National Geographic Magazine yesterday (Vol 190, No3, Sept 1996), my eye caught a SAAB advert, which stated..:

"...Saab Ecopower, a new generation of turbo engines, The first engine to combine high performance with low emissions. he principle is simple. By pre-heating the fuel and recycling exhaust fumes into the engine, the turbo burns the fuel more efficiently generating more power and less polution..."

So, who can confirm:

1) "if" and "how" the 1996 on Eco Power engines actually:
a) Pre-heat the fuel?
B) recycle exhaust fumes?

2) Is this advert actually a load of marketing hype and cobblers!

It's the first Iv'e heard of it yet have studiously driven 9000's for the last 7 years.

Thanks in advance of all feedback.

..Paul.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Hi Paul,

To the best of my knowledge, yes the claims are correct- except for the baloney about turbos burning fuel. Combustion takes place in the cylinders, not the turbo!

Pre-heating the fuel will almost certainly be referring to the intake manifold heater plate, a big plate with heating vanes on it that was fitted between the intake manifold and head (and thus after the injectors) to help get temps up from cold. The current vogue is to take the thigns out for a few free HP as they are quite restrictive.

I do believe there is an exhaust gas recirculation system, but can't remember exactly how it works at the mo

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mark,

The'turbo burns the fuel' is so daft!

Didn't know about the heater fins.

If anyone has more info on exhaust gas recycling, please advise.

Happy saabing...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.