Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Through a misunderstanding between two drunks (one of them me), I somehow agreed to organise a Scottish meet, even though I live 400 miles away.

So on Saturday 10th April, I intend to be in Scotland and it would be an awful shame if I was there on my own.

It is suggested that we start from Strathclyde Country Park. After meeting up there, a nice drive up Loch Lomondside onto The Rest And Be Thankful (big carpark), and then further on to Inverary for food. A total distance of 76 miles and a couple of hours' driving in total.

From there, on to Oban for refreshment and I'm assured accommodation shouldn't be hard to find for those too far from home to make it back that day.

On the Sunday, perhaps, a jaunt up to Fort William or Glencoe before separating and heading home.

Anyone is welcome to join us for any part of the journey, of course.

Please correct any daft assumptions I may have made due to my lack of local knowledge...

So who's in?

[ 1] BillJ (Sat and Sun)
[ 2]
[ 3]
[ 4]
[ 5]
[ 6]
[ 7]
[ 8]
[ 9]
[10]

I've also posted this over on SaabCentral

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
[ 1] BillJ (Sat and Sun)
[ 2] Mr & Mrs Microcat36 (sat and sun)
[ 3]
[ 4]
[ 5]
[ 6]
[ 7]
[ 8]
[ 9]
[10]

Bill, the Oban to Fort william, and Glen coe is an easy run about 50 miles and if we want to include the stunning run to mallaig, about another 85 miles there and back, the mallaig road has a view of the Glenfinnan viaduct used in the harry potter film, and this road and the run down through Glen Coe are some of the most stunning drives you will get in scotland.

·
Registered
282 Posts
[ 1] BillJ (Sat and Sun)
[ 3] TFatC (Sat & Sun)
[ 4]
[ 5]
[ 6]
[ 7]
[ 8]
[ 9]
[10]

Again, if anybody wants to take the long way home via Aberdeen to either my garage (a few Saabs) or my house (lots more Saabs ) they will be very welcome. Looking forward to it, the last Scottish event was brilliant

·
Registered
43 Posts
[ 1] BillJ (Sat and Sun)
[ 3] TFatC (Sat & Sun)
[ 4] Skib (almost certainly Sat, dunno about Sun)
[ 5]
[ 6]
[ 7]
[ 8]
[ 9]
[10]

The reason an Irishman living in England is organising a Scottish meet is due to language difficulties...zat right Jimmy?

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Skib:
[qb]The reason an Irishman living in England is organising a Scottish meet is due to language difficulties...zat right Jimmy?    :thumbsup:           [/qb][/b]
Och aye the noo...

·
Registered
430 Posts
[ 1] BillJ (Sat and Sun)
[ 3] TFatC (Sat & Sun)
[ 4] Skib (almost certainly Sat, dunno about Sun)
[ 5] Zep, Mrs Zep & son of Zep (Sat & Sun)
[ 6]
[ 7]
[ 8]
[ 9]
[10]

I'm still not sure if we can manage due to work commitments but if anyone does decide to visit TFatC's Saab emporium you will certainly be required to stop here for refreshments.

·
Registered
43 Posts
As I'm missing the Rest and be Thankful and coming over by ferry, the obvious place to meet you all would be the oyster bar at the head of Loch Fyne, 6 miles shy of Inverary.

It is a nice, informal place to eat with no set pattern to the menu meaning you can have just a snack or 2 starters or smoked salmon and steak.... They also have tables outside. On the other hand, there's a shop where we could buy supplies for a picnic.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by Skib:
[qb]As I'm missing the Rest and be Thankful and coming over by ferry, the obvious place to meet you all would be the oyster bar at the head of Loch Fyne, 6 miles shy of Inverary.[/qb][/b]
Here's a tourist map of the area.

A larger (91K), more legible version can be found here.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The itinerary:
(maps by kind courtesy of Microcat36
)

Saturday:

As above. Here's a map of the route.

Sunday:

A leisurely drive up along Loch Linnhe to Glencoe. Then on up to Fort William. Probably lunch there. Depending on how we're doing for time, a possible drive out to Mallaig before parting ways.

Map of Sunday's route:

·
Registered
43 Posts
If anyone is making a long weekend of it, I can recommend the journey to Maillaig although it is a one way trip, you have to come back the same way. It is a stunningly beautiful road and having breakfast on the terrace of the guesthouse across from the harbour in Mallaig is one of life's little pleasures.

I plan to come across the Clyde by ferry to Sandbank, through Strachur and St Catherine's to join the road just before Carndhu and Loch Fyne itself.

Where can I meet you all? The suggestion of the Oyster Bar fell on deaf ears. It has a huge car park with full visibility and you don't have to eat oysters! You can eat outdoors if the weather's good and it's too early for midges. There's also a little coffee place just to take in the ambiance. If we continue into Inverary the parking is problematic, especially on an Easter Saturday.

I intend to drive some of the way with the Convoy but not as far as Oban. Other commitments.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
As we are less than a week away a new list to see how many are going to be there on sat & sun.

1. Mr & Mrs Microcat36 (sat & sun)

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
1. Mr & Mrs Microcat36 (sat & sun)
2. TFatC (Sat & Sun)
3. The three zeps. (Sat & Sun)
4. BillJ (Sat & Sun)
5. Ylee...(sat )

And its the oyster bar for me !!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts