1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
608 Posts
If anyone with 2+runs wants their data overlapped or against any other vehicle on the list, then let me know and Ill sort the graph out for you.

·
Registered
281 Posts
what about a graph comparing all the different setups (execluding the ibiza though)

Would be an interesting comparison. Maybe sepeate torque and BHP onto different graphs. Then we can see how different mods work.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Thats something I am working on at the moment, however though I would start with my car v the TVR, very interesting reading too, mine produces more bhp and torque right through to 4K.

Ill work on all the saabs bhp and lb/ft and post when finished.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Funny I thought all those TVR's were 400hp+ Don't expect to see them in the same bracket as our measly 4-cylinder motors. No disrespect to the wonderful Saabs. In fact if they are more powerful than that TVR then that’s great.

·
Registered
963 Posts
What's the easiest way of getting the data into exel? As it't not CSV or anyhting I'm thinking I'm going to have to copy and paste each figure

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Originally posted by nutcase:
[qb]What's the easiest way of getting the data into exel? As it't not CSV or anyhting I'm thinking I'm going to have to copy and paste each figure        [/qb][/b]
Copying and pasting the entire table in one go seems to work for me (Excel 2003)

[Edit: Er, no it didn't. It just looked like it did. Sorry.]

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Right click the link, save as a text file.

Start Excel, and choose the Open file - text file option.

Choose Fixed Width, and it comes in pretty well, there's just a bit of tidying to do

·
Registered
608 Posts
The TVR was a 4.5 Chimera not Cerbera as labelled, nothing wrong it terms of health with it at all, and it had the pre cats removed for a little easier breathing.

On the road its damn quick, which is the main thing, certainly off the line more than quick enough to give nearly all of the Saabs in attendance a thrashing, bearing in mind with only 232bhp it still had over 210bhp/ton and RWD !

According to the TVR forum on Pistonheads all of the "buick" engined claims are over optimistic to say the least.

5.0 V8 claimed 320bhp average is around 255bhp
4.5 V8 claimed 285bhp average is around 235bhp
4.0 V8 claimed 240bhp average is around 190bhp

It almost seems to me as if TVR just fitted standard Rover engines to the 4.0/4.5 cars wih no mods other than the exhausts !

·
Registered
963 Posts
Originally posted by Mark E:
[qb]Right click the link, save as a text file.

Choose Fixed Width, and it comes in pretty well, there's just a bit of tidying to do    
 [/qb][/b]
Excellent, thanks

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by nutcase:
[qb] QUOTE
Originally posted by Mark E:
[qb] Right click the link, save as a text file.

Choose Fixed Width, and it comes in pretty well, there's just a bit of tidying to do      :thumbsup:   [/qb][/b]
Excellent, thanks [/qb][/b][/quote]I've done some graphs at home with just 5 of the columns

bhp, torque, lamba, boost and rpm

I used the 1st 4 as lines in a 2 y axis line graph and the rpm as the x axis.

graphs are nice but is obviously tiome based not rpm based as the rpm figures are on a time line not an even rpm split (i.e divisions of 1000 near the start bu only 30ish at the red line.

Andrew

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by cdcarlsson:
[qb]Interesting that Ylee had 10bhp less transmission loss at certain parts of the run than other 9000's, snake oil?        
Nick. [/qb][/b]
Yes must be, he should have had greater losses as there were 7 people sitting on his car to hold it down!

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Originally posted by saab90002.3t:
[qb]The TVR was a 4.5 Chimera not Cerbera as labelled, nothing wrong it terms of health with it at all, and it had the pre cats removed for a little easier breathing.

On the road its damn quick, which is the main thing, certainly off the line more than quick enough to give nearly all of the Saabs in attendance a thrashing, bearing in mind with only 232bhp it still had over 210bhp/ton and RWD !

According to the TVR forum on Pistonheads all of the "buick" engined claims are over optimistic to say the least.

5.0 V8 claimed 320bhp average is around 255bhp
4.5 V8 claimed 285bhp average is around 235bhp
4.0 V8 claimed 240bhp average is around 190bhp

It almost seems to me as if TVR just fitted standard Rover engines to the 4.0/4.5 cars wih no mods other than the exhausts ! [/qb][/b]
That's a bit on the low side AFAIK. Most healthy 4.0s post results in the 210 bhp range, and 5.0s are in the 265-275 bhp bracket usually.

On the whole, there's still an appreciable difference between the standard Land Rover units and their TVR Power counterparts - most dyno graphs I've seen of 3.9/4.0 litre RV8s (MG RV8 et al) with an alleged 190 bhp don't show more than 150 or so.

The Cerbera AJP8's are normally close to the claimed 360 bhp in case of early 4.2s with 'clatter cams', some way off with the later versions, and 4.5s are far off their stated 420 bhp output - generally they're in the same range as 4.2s.

Dynoed Speed Six power outputs are normally bang on the money, though.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Right, a proper vac capsule has been obtained - for some reason the first production year of the 99T DOESN'T have pressure retard But fresh in from Germany is a spangly new capsulre for a '79- car. It now remains to be seen if that removes the knock which should remove those nasty APC spikes. Or rather dips - the boost should stay up now!

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
thanks nick
just been taking some time to analyse them..
pretty much the same as my previous runs..
big boost/horsepower rise followed by a boost taper and a big fall off in the torque curve..
My goal is to skew the boost and the power curve to start earlier and finish later..the huge rise in horsepower in a short period ..it gains over 250 hp in 700 rpm
..is not good and makes it difficult to drive
hopefully with valve timing I can do this ...

1 - 20 of 57 Posts