Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

Early 9k Carlssons - Query.

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  wrighar 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

Back from the world of non-Saab ownership. Sold my 2.3T CD Carly and regretted it ever since.

I've got a few questions for the Carly experts amongst you.

I've got the option of getting an early 2.0L 9k Carlsson on a G/89 plate - just under 120K, FSH - (main dealer up to 100K)

The car is the original style black with red pinstripes but has different internal spec to my J plate 2.3 than I thought the Carly's had.

These are the differences I spotted:

1. No aircon or CCS - just dials.

2. Slightly different seats,

3. Multi spoke alloys - Not Aero 3 spokes

4. Lighter coloured wood trim - less plasticky, but more fake looking. Its also inlaid into front door handle cappings - but not rears, centre console lid but not rear ashtray, and the central electric window switch surround.

5 Grey stripe across steering wheel not red.

6.Plain bootlid - ie no decal strip at all.

7. "chrome" plastic inlaid in door handles.

8. Glass sunroof (factory)

It does have the Carly body kit I've seen on the Saab literature (the one with the 900, 9k & 9k CD all black) and a Carly badge.

Can anyone confirm these specs as correct?

The Car was registered to Saab for some time at the beginning of its life and was bought from them by my Seller with only a few hundred miles on the clock.

Could this be a Dealer "building" a Carly or were they all done that way anyway or from the factory?

History and seller are genuine but am confused about the car itself.

Any advice welcomed

Its good to be back

Regards,

Dave

See less See more
#2 ·
I have just sold a 1990 9000 Carlsson my second
1 Both my cars had no aircon just dials
2 The seats are different on the early Carlssons
3 Multi spoke as in a criss cross effect is correct
4 Both my cars didn't have wood
5 The steering wheel should have a red and yellow band but they do fade
6 Bootlid is plain with a Carlsson badge
7 Mine had black inlayed handles
8 One of mine had a factory roof the other one Im not sure about but it leaked
hope this helps
Mark

#3 ·
Hi,

This may hlp a bit Model specs

1. No aircon or CCS - just dials. Optional
2. Slightly different seats, yes
3. Multi spoke alloys - Not Aero 3 spokes Yes, but still 6.5*16's
4. Lighter coloured wood trim - less plasticky, but more fake looking. Its also inlaid into front door handle cappings - but not rears, centre console lid but not rear ashtray, and the central electric window switch surround. Optional
5 Grey stripe across steering wheel not red. Hmm, should be red
6.Plain bootlid - ie no decal strip at all. Not sure
7. "chrome" plastic inlaid in door handles. Odd
8. Glass sunroof (factory) Optional

Andrew

#6 ·
Dave, Hi,

I had one of the original Carlssons in early '89, just like yours, black with red, basically as you have described. It was my dream car, but only had it for three weeks!!!! that's another story - not pranged or anything.

It did however have a small spoiler on the bootlid, but no decal panel. Steering wheel ought to have a red stripe, but now that you mention it, I have seen grey. Cross spokes OK but a bu66er to clean!

#7 ·
Dear Dave,

I still have a 89 Carlsson, one driver from new, me .

The earlier Carlssons came with just two options, did you want a glass or tin sunroof, and secondly did you want leather or fabric interiors. Air conditioning was available as a standard Saab extra rather than as a Carlsson extra [ had mine fitted later ].

There was no wood fitted as standard, and the steering wheel should have a red stripe to match the red body stripes.

I had heard a story from my dealer that if you wanted to order replacement body kit parts , you could only have them if you quoted a Carlsson chassis number, don't know if this was true, but obviously an attempt to stop fakes being created.

The wheels were the multispoke, [ and yes I agree they are a bugger to keep clean but dust guards have help a lot ] The door handles should be all black. The boot has the "see through" spoiler and just a Carlsson badge.

#8 ·
Cheers for the info guys,

So I'm still confused about the odd spec steering wheel, wood, chrome external doorhandles and seats.

Some pics to aid clarification?

External Door handles, wheels:

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/groups/g_3199881/...cFQ.u.AyX5ssHAf

Steering wheel stripes, wood trim:

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/groups/g_3199881/...c1i.u.A2ZkqtvAo

Rear panel: - (yes he has the original twin exhaust tip too:)

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/groups/g_3199881/...c1i.u.AgU7wWeOI

seats, wood trim:

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/groups/g_3199881/...cl1.u.AEHHJvqDz

Any clues?

thanks

Dave

#15 ·
I'd say it looks like it's a Carly with optional burr elm interior and the option accessory wheel (rather than the carly one), carly one has a button set into it as well as the red stripe.

Lots of 9000's have had carly body kits fitted (as some are about to), but the black paint, rear spoiler, High level brake light and carlsson body stripe sell it for me.

Andrew

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.