Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Saab is a 1996 900 SE with 22 psi boost and you can see my mods on my website. The Dynojet said my max wheel horse power was a little lower than I was expecting at 214.0 whp, this translates into about 242 crank hp. But the torque was 262.2 ft-lbs at 3100 rpm!

The guys at Pruven Performance were nice but had obviously never worked on a Saab before. They had trouble finding the ignition and an RPM signal. But I remembered from a previous post that the green/orange wire on the DI cassette can be tapped for a rpm signal.

I did three runs, two with water injection and one without and I had the air/fuel ratio measured with a wide band O2. The mixture starts off stoichiometric, about 14.5:1, and slopes down rich to 11:1 by redline. This seemed backwards to me but the tuners said that was normal for a turbocharged car. The water injection did not give me anymore horsepower but it clearly improved my air/fuel mixture. The runs I did with the water injection gave me a richer mixture quicker. The temperature was 32 F outside and a large fan blew in air from the open garage door so my Saab got lots of cool air.

I measured my intake temps and they maxed at 52 C (126 F) near redline. The sensor is before the water injection so I couldn’t measure the cooling effect.

From the graphs it is easy to see where the T25 turbo tapers off and that the next upgrade needs to be a larger turbo. I am also relieved to see that the current fuel system can easily meet the demand.

Unfortunately I can not post the printouts or pictures until I return to college next week. I wish more people could have come, I had a great time.

Eric

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Could a moderator please delete this, it got reposted by accident.

Thanks
Eric

·
Registered
563 Posts
Very nice numbers, Eric.

Good to know the fuelsystem can cope with this amount of power. My 900SET did 232 hp at the crank with stock downpipe, cat and exhaust diameter(only a high flow muffler was fitted). This summer I'd like to buy a 3" downpipe and maybe 3" catback, but I was afraid the engine would be running lean because the fuelsystem would not be able to provide enough fuel. Thanks to your info, I'm reassured it won't be a problem.

At this moment I can only dream about 242 hp.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I agree that you are likely maxing out your turbo - 22 psi seems to be a bit high for 242 hp, but it does reflect in the high torque number you pulled.
Was there any difference in max boost that Trionic allowed for with and without water injection?
And while we're at it, could you shed some light on my water injection fittings query - I am about to order the same pump...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts