Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
That's impressive. I got 221bhp at the flywheel hich was around 178hp at the wheels IIRC. So your flyhweel output is probably c260bhp, which is a lot more than standard.

BTW, my car hasn't had any engine mods and should "only" be putting out 200bhp. I strongly suspect that it may have the red box APC software though, at another static RR I got similar results to a 9000 2.3 Carlsson. But mine had much more torque around 2500rpm ... a LOT more torque.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
It's a miracle!

Anyhoo, I know see why I liked the feeling of my modified 2.0 over the stock Viggen I drove. My torque, which is quite similar peak wise, sticks around to much higher rpms giving my engine a more linear feel through the higher rpms.

I will get my dyno graphs posted soon. I got a scanner a few weeks ago and just need to take the time to get them online.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyhoo, I know see why I liked the feeling of my modified 2.0 over the stock Viggen I drove. My torque, which is quite similar peak wise, sticks around to much higher rpms giving my engine a more linear feel through the higher rpms. --Eric 9-3 Hirsch

The torque didn't drop off too quickly. It was over 200 lb-ft at the wheels until about 5200 rpm. Certainly not bad at all. The low down grunt is excellent for a stock car in any regards. In fact, so is the top end pull.

If you'd like to see why a stock California Evo lost to me, here is a page with dyno results for one: Evo Baselines

Perhaps a little credit is due to Saab now. I wonder what my Mitsu friends will think.

Cheers,
Dubbya

Edit: Compare the Evo's air/fuel ratio to mine. They go off the chart well before peak hp!
Seems Saab managed to tune their engine a little better. Especially considering the Saab has higher compression.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I was comparing to my car. My torque peak is similar to yours at 251.6 lb-ft, however at a bit higher rpm, 3730. The difference is that from 2700 to 5400 rpm, my torque stays above 238 lb-ft. So after a Viggen gets to about 3700 rpm or so, I have higher torque that sticks around much longer to the tune of around 40 lb-ft above 5200 rpm or so.

Please don't get defensive. I was just comparing numbers to the feelings I had when I drove a stock Viggen. Yours is clearly quite healthy and we are still comparing a stock car to one modified by a high quality tuner. The person who did my tuning at that place also happens to be the man behind tuning the factory T7 9-5 Aero, which is very similar to your car from what I know. Plus, I know that modded Viggens and Aero will whip my cars ass anyways! I know you've heard the phrase, "There's no replacement for displacement."

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't mean to sound defensive. Sorry. I don't need to be defensive at this point. But when you say your torque is above 238 lb ft until 5400 rpms, surely you mean at the crank? If it were 238 lb ft at the wheels at 5400 rpms you'd have 245 wheel hp!

I also seem to have shown myself why I tend to get better milage when I drive the car, than when most others drive it. I tend to shift below 3000 rpms, but drive full throttle. Others (Parents, sister, friends etc) tend to shift above 3K but at slightly less throttle. If you watch the A/F ratio it runs almost lean until about 3200 rpms. Even at full boost! Quite an amazingly tuned stock automobile. Go Saab!!

Cheers,
Dubbya

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Dubbya - well done for coming back with the dyno results after so many of us challenged you to get it on the dyno

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Well, done Adrian- it certainly now bears out some of your performance claims
. Now, your next "mission" is to try to find out why it's performing significantly better than stock ... 'cos we'd love to know if you've got a freak or if somehting has been done to it that you don't know about .

Cheers

Mark

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
T'was my understanding that most US Viggens were about 212-214 whp. That's what EVS told me before I made the dyno run, which is almost scary come to think of it since I ran exctly 213! It probably would have hit or passed the 214 mark had I gotten a few more runs, it kept getting stronger each time by several horsepower.

I think this power is pretty standard for the car. I didn't do anything exceptional. I did have my friend thoroughly spray down the IC and Rad to keep temps down as the fan they used to cool the car was questionably effective. The fan was just too high off the ground to get any real airflow over the intercooler. Other than that, nothing significant. You know I have that little cheesy air filter on it, but I doubt that made any real difference in performance. On the other hand ... it made it sound AWESOME in the dyno room.
I was the one driving the car on the dyno, but my friend who was spraying down the IC said it he couldn't even hear the exhaust over the jet-engine sound of the airfilter. Unfortunately, even more amazing is how much closing the hood muffles that sound.

Really can't see how it could be modified. It only runs the factory stock ~15 psi, and all the mechanical componants look stock. Perhaps they really did bump up the power in 2002 on the Viggen when it was bumped up on the 9-5 Aero? Might explain it.

I'll get back to you if I find anything. I was even using the stock PFR6-H10 plugs! As a matter of fact, tomorrow it's getting it's 30K service, so it did that dyno run on 10K old oil. Seems to have survived in one piece, but I wish I could have done it AFTER the service. (I didn't get much choice, it was a holiday present from my friend who went with me. ) Fresh oil bath might have been worth a hp or two.

Cheers,
Dubbya

·
Registered
295 Posts
I still belive that SAAB have chosen to Upgrade the Viggens in the US! Either due to prestige or because they know that full presure turbo cars are loosing power in warm climates! If we look back on the old 9000´s and 900´s then almost every country in europe had their individual settings of the power output! Why couldnt this happen with the Viggen?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Maby we should ask some of our Sweedish members to ask Dr. Boost on the SaabTurboClubofSweden. I am pretty shure he can enlighten the subject!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hi,

one thing: Due to intercooler heat soak, the car should lose power from run to run, not gain power.

When I made my first dyno run with the stock Viggen on a local dyno, it did more than 220 whp . This was so far off that I had my car checked by the Saab dealer. He found it to be completely stock, so I drove to another dyno, where I got the more realistic 232 hp at the crank.

I still wonder why your car, with that much whp, is not quicker. I read somewhere that some dyno-types are not good for turbo-cars...

Yours,

Philip

·
Registered
348 Posts
Originally posted by Eric (9-3 Hirsch):
[qb]It's a miracle!   [/qb][/b]
BTW, Adrian W´s original claims were 252 whp if I remember right? Was that not the number the g-tech was putting out?

Yours,

Philip

·
Registered
288 Posts
Good results Adrian, but I'am still suspisious.
Do you know for reference how other cars have performed in that very same dyno?

·
Registered
229 Posts
A big
for coming back with the numbers.

Interestingly I've seen recent reports (on another board) from a US Viggen owner with impressive stock wheel hp...

218whp, 262 ft/lbs[/b]
Vigge will know which thread I'm on about, as I saw his Maptun stage III graph there. I've not seen a plot for the quote above.

Hmmm, the plot thickens! Sorry, I'll get my coat...

·
Registered
288 Posts
Originally posted by SenTineL:
[qb]A big  
  for coming back with the numbers.

Interestingly I've seen recent reports (on another board) from a US Viggen owner with impressive stock wheel hp...

218whp, 262 ft/lbs[/b]
Vigge will know which thread I'm on about, as I saw his Maptun stage III graph there. I've not seen a plot for the quote above.

Hmmm, the plot thickens! Sorry, I'll get my coat... [/qb][/b][/quote]That was a -01 viggen for the record. IMHO we can rule out the 02 models being different.
One other thing to remember when comparing the viggen to a 9-5 aero; the aero has an overboost function (will give more boost for 20 sec or so.) which the viggen deffenitly does not have.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts