Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bubbles must be taking offence at having a new stablemate on the way- the alternator looks like it's just packing up. As I parked up this moring at work, I noticed the battery light was on, and the volts were about 11.6. Revving produced about 11.7 V so I'm pretty sure the alternator is goosed. Question is though, how long can the engine run on just the battery? Long enough to get me home (30miles/50min) where I can give it a charge and then onward to my garage. Anyone know the typical running current for an engine with no accessories on?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Having had this happen to me last week I managed about 15 miles (eventually just running on headlights) from when the light came on until it dropped to 8V - if you try and get home in the light you may have a bit more - good luck as it is a hairy experience!

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Bubbles shoud do 50-100 miles with no lights with no problem.

Father did that when his serpentine belt snapped and had no problems in his cde. The car didn't even get that hot if he didn't go over 50 (it's an auto 2.3i).

My sister drove her 900S 16v for 3 weeks, 70 miles a day before her battery got to flat to start and run the fuel pump. That's over 1000 miles.

When it finally died she was angry it had only done that long....

Andrew

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Jason but it will be sorted by then
. Got to my garage no problem and they're going to slap another one on for me. And even if we did have a problem, I've got Debs and Sadie to bail us out.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Bubbles can you tell me how much they are charging for the job?I've got exactly the same fault.Is your alternator in a really awkward spot at the back and underneath(ish)the engine block?Mines a BOSCH 80amp and Main SAAB dealer are looking for £300 to replace it + labour(they reckon about an hour)

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi,

It was just short of £150- about 1½ hours labour and £88 for the alternator.

Yes, it is a pig to get to- I think you have to go in through the wheel arch

·
Registered
378 Posts
Wife came home kicking and screaming last night. Had the same job done in the same way as Bubbles.Cost me £60ish. I'm wondering now if-----
Alternators do not die easy....may be just the regulator.....costs about £30.00 (Bosch)  [/b]
that's all that was done.
Mind you he's the kind of guy you can go back to.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.