Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need a set of 4 to fit my nicely refurbished super aero alloys. as the ££££ is a bit low ive found these tyres @ £61.00 inc vat bit are they suitable for the 9000 areo? i know most on this forum rave about so-3 and eagle f1s but a difference of about £ 120 is making me think about these tyres. your honest opinions would be grateful as to whether i should fork out extra or not. 'please note i do like a bit of the old
'

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Dont miss the fact that Billj's comments relate to driving those tyres on a 2.0lpt, quite a bit different from an Aero in terms of power and torque.

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
Either are the correct speed rating. Depends on how you drive.

Also bear in mind that out and out sport tyres are poor in cold and frost and snow. I have had a bad expesrience or two with the Bridgestones in the snow, but have no experience of the Dunlops.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I have SP Sport 01's on my 99T (mainly due to Bill's review) and I can't fault them. I've never tried a true sports tyre to compare, but they're easily the best I've ever used.

Mind you, I can't really compare anything to be honest - they're the ONLY tyres I've had on the 99!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the fox- ive just seen billj's comments and i see what you mean...to be honest my tyre knowledge is pretty good as i have had many different types of tyres in the past,but then again many different cars!!!!they all vary to the type of car i know but as i plan on keeping my aero for a few years i want the best i can get for my money i hope you can understand what i mean. can i put it this way then-
£ 61 dunlop sp sport 01 £ 73 dunlop sp 9000 So-3 £78 goodyear f1 gsd3 £ 70 all each.;i think i'll go with the f1 and pay that little bit extra. having read previous posts on this site i think im a stupid into thinking i can take a different route and come up with the same results!!!! thanks for your time i hope you all agree with me. P.S dont use AVONS

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have SP01s on my 2.0lpt + Speedparts stage 1 (nominal 225bhp).

Good points
1 extremely gentle and progressive "let-go".
2 good grip in the wet.

1 & 2 combined gives great confidence.

Bad points
1 In the dry, the ultimate grip is LESS than the dreaded Pirelli P6000s!
2 I think they are wearing quite fast - seem to be about half-gone after 7k miles. (But there again, I'm pushing them harder after the ECU upgrade).

Overall, I like them and will probably get the same again next time.

I have no experience of Goodyear Eagles on a Saab, but on BMW Z3s they are supposed to grip and grip and grip and then let go with no warning at all -nasty!

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I've got them on my upgraded 9-5 2.0 (192bhp) with Eibach suspension. I bought them after reading BillJ's comments, and also as they are specifically marketed as "the quiet tyre" but I reckon they are noisier than the Micelins they replaced. They've certainly never let me down in wet or dry - but quite frankly, under most normal (i.e. not extreme driving) conditions, the only real differences between different makes these days is wear rate, noise and wet grip.

I reckon they are baout a third worn after 7k on the front of the 9-5.

The Goodyear F1s are reportedly good on the 9-5, particularly for noise and wet grip, but wear quickly. Unfortunately, most tyres are a compromise & you have to work out where your priorities lie.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Did you check the price on www.mytyres.co.uk ? Someone mentioned this site before and they did seem quite cheep - defiantly getting my next set here (unless somewhere cheaper turns up) Anyway - I'm never too worried about the sort of tires I have on my car. I usually work out what the tyres can do after a short time (this tendency has it's good and bad points) and I just stick with it. (it'll never be un-drivable) My only real preference (as I’m a bit of a boy-racer) is for an evil looking tread pattern and nice smooth sidewalls (so the tyre-black looks good ) I liked Falkens, Yokohama's, Pirelli’s and truly despised - Kuhmo, Ventus and anything with Hankook written on it..

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
my-tyres is where i got the price from on the dunlops which i thought was pretty good value at £ 61 each.. however ive finally sorted a new set bf goodrich profiler g-force.i ordered these off mytyres first but because they are new tyre they couldn't guarentee a delivery date so after ringing everybody i got for £55 each +vat .the previous quotes i got on these were between £75 -£95 so i think i couldn't resist at this price plus the chap told me he'd tested the tyres on his subaru and can't rate them high enough,will have to wait and see wont i...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts