Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I think you'll find that that turbo will not boost toward the red (but not absolutely sure).

You can also drive along with the windows down and sharply accelerate and then let lift off the accelerator. You should her a pshhhhhhh type of whoosing noise. If you don't then it could be a faulty dump valve or an air leak, but check the boost guage needle first.

Toby

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
How can I tell if my dump valve has blown?[/b]
Pull off the small hose to the dump valve at the manifold end and try to blow down it. If you can the diaphragm is burst, if you can't it's OK. You can try sucking if you prefer but it tastes horrible.
Also, boost will only go about half way up the yellow and the guage will show very little vacuum on the overun.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Derek,

is that the small hose on the top right right of the manifold? I know I can suck / blow through that one.

It tastes filthy.

The pipe looks pretty perished and it left me with black all over my face. Should I try changing it first?

Pete

·
Registered
341 Posts
It might be no harm to change the pipe, are you able to suck/blow freely down the pipe?. If the dump valve is ok, you should be able to suck a certain amount of air in and then find the pressure on the diaphram taking the strain.

If you can suck/blow air freely its possibly either two things... the dump valve or the pipe.

I had the same kind of problem only to find that the pipe was worn and had a hole in it... thus causing the car to die out when revving up and dropping to idle.

Hope that helps
Michael

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
It is the small hose that connects to the top of the dump valve. The other end connects to the manifold somewhere but off the top of my head I'm not sure where. Just trace it back to a connection.
If you want to inspect it off the car, the dump valve comes off very easily, only a couple of jubilee clips and pull off the aforementioned small hose.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys,

I found a large gaping hole in the small hose. The dump valve seems to be fine and now I've replaced the hose everything seems to be healthier.

She is still cutting out though! I'm sure it's electrical but I can't find anything wrong.

Pete

1 - 8 of 8 Posts