Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I found out to my cost today... carb cleaner dissolves the sealing ring inside Bailey dump valves!!

Having spent yesterday and today installing water injection and additional cooling fans, and also generally cleaning/maintaining bits round the engine (I had the radiator and intercooler out!) I decided to go for a test spin... good job I only had a short run before thinking "Where's the dump noise?" Returned home, took it apart, found rubber/whatever piston sealing ring severely stretched, valve U/S.

Finally got water injection to work (you really don't want to know how painfull that was), duff relay in kit had me foxed for a while. Haven't really spotted difference; engine was on adaptation run, hot outside etc etc. Will report more later.

M

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Bubbles - would be very interested in the water injection kit write-up. Was it an Aquimist system? What difference to your insurance did it make? You say additional fans - where did you fit these (in front or behind rad etc)?

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Full install article on Aquamist system 1S to follow... it hasn't made any difference to my insurance as I'm already declared modified due to engine mods etc.

www.greenlight-insurance.co.uk

Regarding fans... it's a pig of a job!! Basically I was after keeping things a bit cooler after installing the Abbott intercooler. It certainly cools the charge air/helps response, but you don't get owt for nowt and as a consequence the engine runs hotter (the intercooler has more resitance to the air flowing throough it towards the radiator).

The problem with fitting extra fans on the 9000 is the lack of space at the front when you've got air con. I determined that two Pacet 8" fans would (just) fit. Fitting them was another matter. In the end I opted to take the radiator and intercooler out to get at the back of the aircon rad to mount the fans through the radiator.

I'm not yet sure of the full effect- some basic timgings I did yesterday on fan cycling whilst idling indicated about 20% reduction in fan on time with the extra ones installed. I've also brought a switch contact through (not yet implmented though) that will enable me to manually turn the aux fans on independently of the main one, the hope being to reduce intercooler soak on warm days.

I'd be interested if there were any published figures for the OEM fan to compare with Pacet to see if there's a higher performance one available.

Mark

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.