Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

While in the process of re-building the front end of my '96 9KCSE FPT I’ve come across a dual speed fan.

My question is, Will the correct wiring and control system be in place for it to work, and if so does anyone know which wires to connect.

The connections on the fan are different to that of the car, i.e. There is a four pin (straight D type plug) connection which I believe to be for the normal operating fan speed, and then there is a 2 pin D type plug that goes to the rheostat/thermo switch, which I’d guess would be the trigger for the high speed fan.

Can anyone confirm that is will/won't work?
Or tell me how I could find out.

Many thanks

Damian

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Hi Damian,

It should all be pre wired. IIRC there's an extra relay needs to be fitted in the engine relay box agdjacent to the battery. The fan istelf plugs in to the appropriate connector which is next to your existing fan connector.

What I don't recall is where it gets it's switching feed from. I think you might also need to change the radiator sensor. I'm sure someone will be along soon with the correct info.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mark,

I thought there might be a relay or somthing required.

The only prob being, The connections on the twin speed fan are the D type where as the connections on the car (which i believe is newer than the fan ive picked up) are the box type which have a red locking piece, so I guess ill need to get hold of the proper Saab tech books to decipher the wiring codes (any one got those by chance )

ohps - slight correction - The four pin plug is a three pin

On the cars wiring loom there are two connections that lead to the orriginal fan, the one that is connected to the fan is a 2 pin jobby and the second (redundant connection) is a single pin.

Im wondering if the age / design of these is incompatible.

thanks

Damian

·
Registered
778 Posts
The 2 speed cooling fan control design changed in '96, IIRC. The engine coolant temperature sensor is linked to the EDU control module. The control module calculates the coolant temperature from the sensor, an NTC resistor, and uses the info' to control steps 1 & 2 of the radiator fan. The EDU gets signals in from pins 34 & 27 (yel. & orange, repsectively) and sends signals out thru pins 5 & 6 (blue and blue-white, respectively). Both wires go to relays located by the battery tray: the blue-white wire goes through a 10-pin connector to the 2 speed relay, and the blue wire goes to the AC fan relay.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Also, I forgot to mention, there's no radiator temperature sensor with this design - perhaps it's different in the UK, but here in the 'states '95, IIRC, was the last year to use the 2 level temperature sensor at the bottom of the radiator. This was a good idea because I can't tell you how many of those sensors I've seen with melted or brittle wires because of its' close proximity to the turbo.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks robert,

so basically what your saying is, if ive got the old type dual speed fan with a built on thermostat, it wont be compatible with later post 95 models ?

If so ill need to get hold of a later fan.

thanks
Damian

·
Registered
778 Posts
Nope, that's not what I'm saying. The 2 speed fans are all the same. It's the way that they're controlled that differs.
The radiators are slighty different, in that the newer ones don't have the two speed temperature switch - the two speeds are controlled by the EDU.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks robert,

You seem to know your stuff with these fans

Basically then, i've got an older fan with the built in speed switch, a rad with no thermo sender and the newer EDU controlled system less the fuse and the relay that I will have to get.

So all I need to do is remove the speed controller on the fan and then find out which cables on the fan are for normal speed and high speed.

I'm assuming that the system works on stepped serial input voltage up to 12V ?

mucho thnx

damian

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Robert,

right ok,I thought that the large device on the shroud was the switch for the 2 speeds, as it has a seperate 12v input from the main connection.

Wish I had a digital camera

got the battery on charge overnight so i'll be able to trace back the cables, I still need to find out what to connect to what i.e ive got 3 + 2 pins on the fan and 2 + 1 pins on the car

Wish i had been given the right fan the car, mind you it was FOC , All helps as im rebuilding most of the front end myself

1 - 11 of 11 Posts