Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

I recently picked up a 1995 900 2l turbo convertible with 100,000 on the clock, which altogether seems to be in great shape. Dry garaged for the last 5 years with only 10,000 miles of use in that period.

Drives very well and turbo pulls exceptionally well, but there is very noticeable dry bearing noise at idle that is worrying me - seems to be coming from the driver's side of the engine bay. It doesn't get any worse under acceleration and seems pretty constant. There is also a slight smell of oil, although no visible leakage.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Any help or suggestions on what to do with this or even whether or not I should be driving the car until it's sorted would be great.

Cheers

Jonathan

·
Registered
314 Posts
Had the same problem with my old 900 and it turned out to be one of the serpentine belt idler pulleys, i got a can of WD40 with a straw attatchment and carefully sprayed a SMALL amount of lub into the center of the bearings one at a time until the noise vanished ,that way i knew which pulley to replace.

Kenny.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kenny thanks for this - it turned out be exactly that! New belt and pulley installed and now not a squeak!

Many thanks again.

Jonathan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts