Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, it's true. I got to drive a Mini Cooper S on at Gaydon this week. The first time I'd been in any BMW Mini since BMW broke the Rover Group up five years ago.

It was yellow (yuk!!) and I had no idea what to expect. I ended up thinking that it's just not for me!!

Fun if you want to throw it around backroads for a laugh. Fast if you want power under your right foot, even in 6th gear.

But, Recaro seats dug into the bottom of your legs when you got in and out of the car. The ride was too hard, and the engine noise, supercharger whine, gear whine, wind noise and road noise are all really poor. The interior is incredibly plasticky, the boot is about a third of the size of a Rover 25s boot, the gearbox was very notchy, and overall I really would not want to be in one on any sort of long journey.

The only thing it has got going for it is the handling and performance. Otherwise, it's a triumph of style over substance, and if it was packaged as anything else from any other manufacturer with the same levels of refinement, it would get criticised in the press.

How do BMW get away with it?? There was a BMW Rolls Royce on site in the week as well, and it really is a monstrous leviathon, and a caricature of a traditional Rolls Royce. Hideous.........just as BMWs latest range of cars are hideous!!!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think I agree with you on the MINI, Steve. We had one for a long test-drive a couple of years back, we were seriously considering replacing the C900 'vert with one - lucky escape

Anyway, the MINI (Cooper S + Chili pack) had decent amounts of 'go', but the ride and refinement got really wearing after a while. Fun for a half-hour thrash up a mountain pass, but quite a tiring car to drive.

Still, I reckon the automotive world's all the better for the MINI's existence - too much refinement and we'd all be driving Toyota Corolla's ...

Cheers

James

·
Registered
3 Posts
Agree with you about the mini, but not the Rolls. I went out in one last night, the luxury content of the car is another level, but that is nothing compared with the performance, as you are accelerating the car seems to shrink in size into a nibble gti. The 0-62 is 5.6 secs and it just keeps going, I was left feeling mightily impressed and wondering if I sold this, that, etc, could I afford it.......... I can't.

Matthew

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Originally posted by Fliptop:
[qb]Small car that's fast & fun, and also vaguely practical?  It's looking more & more like the new Golf GTi is the one to have - I'm thinking about it to replace the Barge... [/qb][/b]
I'd much rather have a Golf GTi than any mini, the mini is too "trendy" for my liking. If any car is proof that marketing can overcome buyer cynicism then the new mini is it, before it came out nobody said that they would buy one because it wasn't a British made mini. A few funky adverts later and hey ... it's THE car to have if you're under 40, have a reasonable amount of spare wonga and want all your neighbours to know that.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I was at Goodwood at the weekend and the minis were true stars. I loved the whine and handling and I sort of want one*. Been trying competitions to win one but no luck.

I would not drive a golf if you paid me. spit spit!

*Not enough to part with either of the girls or the economic avensis.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts