Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
As I was squishing and rolling round a corner yesterday and contemplating a change of front ARB's I was thinking of the front wishbone rear bush change description on BillJ's site
. There he (or you, if your reading this Bill ) describes changing the drop-link bushes while about to change the wishbone bushes. To minimise roll I was thinking of changing the front ARB bushes to poly', BUT what I want to know is whether this is pointless without changing the drop link bushes?

And while I'm at it...I'm also changing the front wishbone rear bushes (of course
), but wondered if I should change the front/front wishbone bushes while I'm there? (all I've dome so far are the rear ARB bushes...some improvement, and the top engine mounts...WOW
, but some vibration).

Cheers
Kev

·
Registered
662 Posts
hi kevster,the front wishbone bushes take less strain so i wouldnt bother with them.(the rear ones are worth doing tho).as for the front ARB bushes,i changed my rear ones first and it was a big improvement,but when i done the front it seemed to neutralise the affect of the rear ones!!.i changed them back to rubber bushes.i think im right in saying that,that is the general opinion here
simon

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
just to clarify..
front wishbones rear bushes..very good to do
front wshbones front bushes..jury is still out
consensus is a bit more harshness...
front a/r bushes good to do
drop link bushes maybe (they make the a/r bar work more so could introduce more understeer although I have not seen it myself )
eye bush on the drop link as above
steering rack bushes good but a real bu66er to fit

rear a/r bar bushes very good to do...

I think that is all!!

good luck !!

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK. So perhaps my rubber front ARB bushes are a bit tired and need replacing for fresh rubber ARB bushes?

As for front ARB/drop link bushes...I had read that front ARB-to-poly may introduce understeer, but then having seen drop link poly's being fiited by the same people I didn't know quite what to think..hhmmmmm???

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by ylee coyote:
[qb]front a/r bushes good to do[/qb][/b]
Did them. Hated them. They undid all the good work the rear ARB bushes did. Removed them and replaced with new rubber. Roll isn't necessarily a bad thing. My Aero turns in really sharply and feels very chuckable for such a big car. Ed Abbott once advised me to disconnect the front bar completely for the track...

For the same reason I wouldn't fit the poly drop link bushes I bought as they would have a similar effect.

[qb]steering rack bushes good but a real bu66er to fit[/qb][/b]
I can confirm they are a bu66er to fit. No idea whether they really make a difference. My old ones were worn (lots of movement in the rack) but I don't know whether new rubber ones would have done just as well. I'm pretty sure the poly ones have added some vibration.

[qb]rear a/r bar bushes very good to do...[/qb][/b]
By far the best tenner I ever spent on the car!

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I did the front and rear a/r bushes and the front/ rear wishbone bushes at the same time ..
It certainly made it more chuckable but I could not say what was doing what..
I have just done the front /front's and the steering rack (and strut brace) so I expect a large difference in steering precision

As for the front a/r bar is it necessary ..?
I will maybe try a few things at anglesey...!

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
New front ARB rubber bushes then (the old ones do look a bit of a sloppy fit). I had been worried that poly front ARB bushes plus poly drop links would put excessive stress on the wishbones (a paranoia that lingers from one front wishbone on my old Cav' shearing clean through
...it didn't have the saab ruggedness of course, but not something I'd care to chance repeating if at all possible).

Check the front/front wishbone bushes...if sound then leave alone.

Must add that the new poly top engine mounts transformed my aero. This may well be more to do with the poor state of the old rubber ones, but still...previously it felt like every engine and gearbox component was worn and sloppy. With new mounts it felt taught and new

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.