Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here, about to attempt to replace the dreaded Amp1, which theres is loads on here about, and i'm confident I can easily replace it that is oofcourse once I purchase a replacement.

So in order to get to the Amp1 (under passenger seat), I need to take the seat out.

Can anyone run through the easiest way to do this?

1) My initial inspection reveals I need a fancy screw driver bit (Torx - i think is the right name, please confirm), This is at the rear of the frame mechanism fixed to the car body. It is also quite a big one so, can anyone advise of the size I need to buy.

2) Once I've undone these I can't really see how to get the front of the rails off.... presuming ofcourse this is the correct way to tackle this job.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers in Advance
Simon

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
The book says that you undo the rear two Torx screws. Then the front unhooks.

But...

... I tried this on my driver's seat. The screws have been fitted with Loctite!! :eek: I couldn't move them with the right Torx bit and a 24 inch breaker bar.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The good news is that you don't need to take the passenger seat out to get at the amp. Just move the seat all the way forward & up & you'll be able to get at the one screw that holds it. The only trick you need is to release the wiring by pressing down on the wiring connector on the front left hand side. I followed good instructions at saabcentral 'Removing the amp'. The only problem I had was finding a replacement amp (12800531). If you do decide to take the seat out, though, for more access, you need to disconnect the battery, use a T45 (50?) for the two rear bolts, tip the seat forward & upward to release the front hooks (no bolts) & unplug the under-seat wiring. The seat comes out complete with runners. The runners now move independently so make sure you line them up to refit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers SGould and Bosco, looks like i'm gonna give Bosco's method a blast first...... cos known my luck they used Extra Strong loctite to fit my seats.

As for my part number its slightly different the AMP1 on my vector sport is Hi, part number 12757370.

So its off to the tool shop for a "Set"?? of Torx bits. Will keep you posted, oh and if you hapen to know someone with a spare Amp1...... (scouring ebay at present)

Cheers
Simon

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bosco,

Was wondering if the amp in your car would fit mine, basically you quoted part number 12800531, which I think is out of a 2004 car, and my amp is part number 12757370 = 2005/06 car.

Thing is i've now got both (Cos went and bought one with your part number second hand), mine is indeed all rusted underneath (therefore presuming its busted), so I replaced it with the 12800531 amp........ still not working and i`m reliably told that stereo was working in carthis replacement 12800531 part came out of.

Where the hell do I turn now....... other posts talk about chasing the fibre optic cables to make sure signals are being sent..... any tips how to do this???

Simon

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bosco,

Was wondering if the amp in your car would fit mine, basically you quoted part number 12800531, which I think is out of a 2004 car, and my amp is part number 12757370 = 2005/06 car.

Thing is i've now got both (Cos went and bought one with your part number second hand), mine is indeed all rusted underneath (therefore presuming its busted), so I replaced it with the 12800531 amp........ still not working and i`m reliably told that stereo was working in carthis replacement 12800531 part came out of.

Where the hell do I turn now....... other posts talk about chasing the fibre optic cables to make sure signals are being sent..... any tips how to do this???

Simon
How do you get to the rear torque bolts when the seat is stu Karl of the way back? When all the way back in a 2007 9.3 2.0t convertible.

Gary

1 - 6 of 6 Posts