Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have shamefully nicked this off another Saab group - looks very interesting:

> On UK TV next week :- Thursday 28th February 8.00 p.m.Channel 4 "Driven" (Videoplus code 4867)
>
> "An hour-long special of the motoring magazine sees the team head off on location to Sweden to participate in Saab's winter testing, and sample an Arctic driving course with a couple of ex-rally
> champions"

Kevin Mc

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
I was half watching the program and they mentioned a "million dollar concept car" and showed pics of the 9x.

Digiguide says the following:

An hour special of the motoring magazine from Sweden, where Penny Mallory, Mike Brewer and Jason Plato participate in Saab's winter testing and sample an arctic driving course with a couple of ex-rally champions. Plus, an exclusive look at the new Volvo off-roader, the XC 90 and Saab's 9-3X concept sports coupe and a test-drive of the Volvo safety car

Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - UK television listings available free from http://www.digiguide.com. Copyright ©1999-2002 GipsyMedia Limited. Information copied from DigiGuide cannot be re-distributed without prior written consent from GipsyMedia Limited. All rights reserved.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MartinR - I wouldn't worry about your straying problem - I'm at it all the time on the 9-3/9-5 board!

StephenA - doesn't sound like it'll be pure Saab then :-(
I'll still watch anyway even though I'm not "Driven" 's biggest fan.

Kevin Mc

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Is Driven the programme where three morons drive round together making inane comments,like,it doesn't have many toys?
Should be good for a laugh.the two other vehicles will probably be a Aston Vantage and a Nissan Micra so that we can have a balanced picture lol

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Yes thats the one.. .this week they had a bunch of rally video game "drivers" testing the subaru and the mitsubishi evolution (So called because "it kind of shows that the car has evolved from the sort of car your grandfather would drive"...

And who says TV isn't dumbing down!

·
Registered
244 Posts
lighten up guys, its almost as funny as frasier but dumber and less informative. last nights race between a saxo and, first off the scooby and then the evo, around what appeared to be an essex supermarket depot was a hoot in its supreme inanity. marvellously quintessentially superdumb. unmissable, for all the wrong reasons!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Next weeks programme should be interesting, I never seen a Saab featured on "Driven". Has anyone else got the impression that the presenters are just a little bit biased to a certian Bavarian based motor manufacturer?

·
Registered
970 Posts
Mike H you are so polite. I used to watch it to monitor (out of personal interest), how it might compete with Mssrs Clarkson and Wilsson whom I thought at the time were about the best. JC is still good on his 'chat' show.

It didn't compete at all then and by accounts on the 4car forum, is now just a different quality of sh!te.

A friend of mine has a Saab video (or should that be a video about Saabs), which is quite good. Dunno if any of you have it but part of it shows them on what appears to be a runway or proving ground coming off a movin transporter and doing various manoevres.

I enjoyed it but cant remember where he got it. Top Gear did the saab snow thing a few years back. Maybe the Beeb have archives that we could purchase??

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Hey, I don't think Driven's all that bad. True, Mike Brewer is a prize monkey (see the Eagle E-Type feature last week, eeewww!!) but Jason Plato and Penny Mallory are pretty good presenters as far as I'm concerned.

If you think Driven's bad TV you should check out Pulling Power. Then again, you may want to watch something to alieviate sleeplessness.

Personally I think Top Gear was pretty drab, I was never really a fan of the "classic" Top Gear lineup of Clarkson, Wilson either; smug, over-wordy, arrogant and pointless. They failed to prevent Vauxhall from selling Vectras by the thousand didn't they?! Let us not forget Tiff Needell's self-indulgent oversteering antics either, spare us!!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I agree with your comments re;Pullingpower and Driven,1989agoodvintage,but I must take issue with your comment about Top Gear and Vectra's.Did not Clarkson get an almighty B*****king for saying the only good thing about the Vectra was the door mirrors??
There is a wide open gap just waiting for a genuine car test programme,but I fear we will never see it.Once upon a time Autocar used to do some good road tests,even assesing the the head-light performance and that is sadly needed today when lights are a styling statement,and most are little better than those of the 60's,and I include the 9k in that,they are cr*p and little better with upgraded bulbs.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Yup, he certainly did slate the Vectra. What I was implying is that Vectra's sold DESPITE the massive amount of criticism from JC. i.e. PPL treat take everything he says with a pinch of salt, even when he's right. Which makes him pretty obsolete really ...

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Not quite...it's (Vectra) high sales are due to fleet/contract hire because of the huge discounts Vauxhall are prepared to give to shift the damn things...I know because my company dictates you have a Vauxhall as a company car for this very reason!
And the new one just about to come out is the one that was being slated on Driven!
It's certainley not better than a Ford, I've driven the new Mondeo and it is a very impressive car. In fact I'd be very tempted if there was a decent 'Saab-style high torque/low revs' engine in the range....hmmmnn, a bi-turbo version of the 2.5 V6 with 4wd should do the trick!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.