Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all my part are fine but I am having trouble putting back the drive belt which is the belt that revolves the altonator, ac, water pump, etc.

I can not seem to depress the spring, its so tough. And I didn't know about using the special homemade tool till after I removed the belt.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can put the belt on with just basic tools. I worked so hard trying but no success

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Firstly make the tool. It is very simple to make but I'm afraid I haven't got the dimensions to hand. They are in the Haynes Book or perhaps someone else on the list has them handy.
Once you've got the tool either fit a socket on the tensioner pulley nut and turn it anti-clockwise until the tensioner compresses enough to fit the tool (probably not the best method) or use a tyre lever under the tensioner to compress it.
Having got the tool in place, fit the belt then pull up on the top run of the belt up to compress the tensioner while an assistant whips the tool out (if it doesn't fall out).

·
Registered
865 Posts
the easiest way to do this is to jack up car on trolley jack,if possible,and place a length of hollow pipe about a foot long on the curved part of tensioner the other end of pipe on the ground then slowly let the jack down until tension is released....let weight of car do the work for you.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Easier yet, the middle pulley is threaded in reverse. Take a socket(18mm I think) over the head of the bolt and pull downward to the left.
This releases the tension of the tensioner and makes putting the belt on easy. Does take some muscle. Don't mess with the tensioner itself.

wherewolfe

·
Registered
969 Posts
Firstly, congrats on the excellent site. Have read it for some time but whenever I get the urge to respond to a query (with all my 2½ yrs Saab experience), I'm beaten to it. Some of you guys must be logged on 24/7.
With regard to the belt, my last one was fitted less than 2yrs/20k ago and now has a longitudinal crack along its full length (and the handbook says it lasts longer than a vee belt!). This was a Saab belt (why do they cost £35 when I just bought a Bosch from GSF for £14 - rip off or what). It was fitted by a Saab tech I was acquainted with who reckoned he could do it from the top, without wheelarch access, in about 10 mins. Does anyone know how this is done?

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Hi Alan and welcome to Saabscene . Thanks too for your kind words.

It's quite feasible to change the belt from the top- I've done it myself although it did take somewhat longer than 10 minutes

The key is having the Saab tool for compressing the tensioner. Getting the pulley wheel out is a bit tight and fiddly, but again do-able. You hva eto apply a bit of "leverage" to the wheel arch to allow sufficient space for the bolt that holds it in place to be withdrawn.

·
Registered
102 Posts
To compress the tensioner, I eventually found I could use a Coil sping commpression tool. Works on the same priciple as the SAAB tool. Even tried to borrow the tool form the local SAAB garage, but no deal.
Check to free running pully for wear, (approx £36 from SAAB) These can cause the bellt to come off if worn.

Unfortunately the belt shredded itself on mine and has broken the Air con connector on the back of the air con pump.

Any ideas on how to repair it?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts