Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I own a 2008 9-3 2.0T, and my friend owns a 2007 9-3 2.0T sport combi (anniversary edition). Is there any drastic change to the power steering between the two models? The 2008 has lighter steering and not nearly as much feeling when you hit a corner, compared to the 2007 which gives you much better feeling and feels more solid all around. Not as jittery on the road.

Both are running more or less comparable tires... the 2008 has V12 Evo's and the 2007 has AS potenzas. If anything id expect the evo's to feel better through the corners.

Before I go searching the 2008 for tie rod and suspension issues, likely messing up the alignment in the process and costing myself $100 to fix it, is this change in feel on the road just an inherit difference between the two? The lack of feel bugs me a bit on the track.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts
interesting one..........I myself would expect a sedan to handle better than a combi, although yours is the later facelift model I don't think they had any upgrade to steering

the only thing other than an issue somewhere is the combi is on sports suspension which would see it lower although im taking your car is an aero model with the sports suspension anyway

given you are also talking in $ suggests your not in the uk

maybe aerojon can shed some light on this one hes my technical master lol ;)

I take it you've jacked up and felt for any undue play ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Kez,

The 2007 is the "anniversary" model, which i *think* means everything aero exept for it still has the 2.0T engine, not the 2.6T. The 2008 is just the 2.0T so the suspension may very well be different. I suspect it is not only the suspension though, since i wouldnt think that would explain how much lighter the steering is. Do aero models have heavier steering than the regular 2.0T's?

I have jacked up the 2008 and felt around a bit. I replaced a lower control arm because there was some play, but i am not familiar enough with the car to know what could lead to lack of feeling in the steering. It feels disconected with the road. This weekend i'll have some spare time so i'll put it on some stands and take a look under neath. Perhaps some of the nice people here could let me know the trouble areas I should check?

The tire sizes are the same, both are running R17/235. Ill also trade tires on the cars to see what kind of difference it will make. There is about a seasons worth of extra tread on the 2008, but it felt the same on my old bald conti's.

And yes, I am in Canada, which explains my joy with it actually being warm enough in the garage to spend a day on the car =D. Both of the cars are canadian as well. 2007 was bought new (at 245,000km now) but the 2008 was bought used at 100k (150k on it now).

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts
the aero sits on sports suspension so is lower and was an option on various other models well here in the uk that is....as you are aware various markets can differ

im sure they both run electro hydraulic pumps

so tyres both r17/235/xx ......45's I assume and tyre pressures correct , just trying to eliminate the obvious here so bare with me

ok will give it some thought and sure others will input tomorrow as its 11pm here

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes i run them both at 35 psi on the road and 40 on the track. This weekend ill get under both of them to find out what suspension they have. Is the difference between the aero and base suspension just the springs and shocks?

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts
springs are different..............looking at both is one sitting lower than other or both the same

meant to ask this last night. your 07 has facelift dash same as the 08

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From first look they look like they sit the same, not noticeable by eye. Tomorrow I'll go pull the codes off of the springs and then Ill know for sure. It almost feels like the 08's handling doesn't stiffen up at all when increasing speed, which you would expect it to. It is a little harrowing driving on the highway and the steering is as light as it is in a parking lot.

The dash looks identical between the two, no difference there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Springs are the same... red (yellow) pink color code. Driver side of the 08 is sitting about 10mm lower than the passenger side, but the spring seems OK and the tire pressures are identical.

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts
on level ground lol

is the complete drivers side sitting lower or just front

is one side bouncier that the other when you press down on car

wondering if you have a shock/strut gone, which could explain your symptoms

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
haha yes on level ground, as far as I could tell without taking to time to go find my level. Rear is bouncy, but not one side more than the other. Front and back drivers side is lower by ~10mm.

Now that we are talking about the struts, i do hear some clunking when going over bumps but i am certain it is coming from the rear, not the front (i have gone as far as finding a speed bump, driving the front tires over, waiting, then driving the rear over...only hear a cluck when the rear goes over. Very....technical :cool:).

Would a rear shock or spring have this big of an effect on handling? The rear is quite bouncy. I can manage to get traction control to kick in on dry pavement in 2nd gear, which i dont think the 4cyl would normally do. Shot rear springs i would think could explain this since the weight transfer would be exaggerated, bringing weight off the front prematurely.

Looking at the state of the coil springs and the rust on the shocks, I would venture to guess these are original struts. At nearly 160k am i due for new ones anyways? I would love to fit a roadholding kit if I can scrape together the money. Tuition isnt cheap, but id pass on a few textbooks if it meant better feel on the track.

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts
are they pitted or seals gone...............they do look worse for wear lol

did you do the bounce test............not accurate way but good judgement

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I didnt see any pitting on the shafts of the shocks. I did the bounce test, the front doesnt bounce when i push on it, but the rear does a bit. I am not sure how much is "normal" for this car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.