Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a new one on me.....I have had several Saabs over the years. This is 88 900 Vert. I started the car, pulled out of the garage, turned it off, just a few minutes I went to start it. Well, seems to be a dead battery, just started fine 15 minutes ago. Next step jumped it, started fine. Went to have the battery checked, test ok took a full charge. Not sure where to go next. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank You.

·
Super Moderator
2,953 Posts
Hello, when you moved it out of your garage , did you have any other items on ( I'e radio , fan , wipers , rear screen heater ) , ? . If so they may well of just taken the battery over the edge so to sleek , so when you went to re-start the voltage had dropped enough to cause your issue , so you jumped it and ran it to get the battery checked and all ok , so means the alternator is working fine . just keep an eye on when and how it happens. Did it start ok the rest of the day.?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had a weird issue on a non-Saab once where it just refused to start but battery tests said it was fully charged and in good condition.

That turned out to be the earthing braid linking the chassis to the engine block and hence the starter. When the starter tried to take a massive current the high resistance of the poor connections at the strap ends dropped enough volts that the starter solenoid was dropping out again with the dreaded 'click click click'.

Cleaned up the ends and it was fine again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hopefully it's just connections as others are saying.
Check battery connections are tight.
On the positive side, Check battery cable, give it a wiggle, it shouldn't feel at all 'floppy' at any point, including at the starter and alternator connections, which should also be checked for tightness.
also check for corrosion. Wire brush connections, apply some non-conductive grease (e.g. White grease, even a light coat of Vaseline will do), and retighten.
On the negative (ground) side - again: check, clean, lube, tighten as you go.
Locate your main Ground points - as yoyo above mentioned, the chassis / block ground braid is a prime suspect. It's braided precisely because it has to deal with a lot of engine vibration that regular stranded cable is less able to withstand, long term (wiggle a Wire for long enough and it will sure as hell break, strand by strand).
Nuts and bolts can and often do, work slightly loose, rendering what at one point was a good electrical connection into an unreliable connection. Check, Loosen, clean, lubricate and retighten to correct torque.
Hopefully you'll find something loose and you're sorted.

If not, then after doing the above checks etc, you can check to find out if the battery is holding charge, or if you've got a "Parasitic Draw" somewhere on the car.
thats a bit more complicated if you're not familiar with doing it but is covered in loads of threads, web articles and on yew tube (check out "Ratchets and Wrenches" or "Eric the Car Guy", their vids are usually pretty good.

good luck ! Hope Ya got a screw loose, as they say !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts