Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To cut a long story short, I've been having nightmares with my 2008MY 150 bhp Vector Sportwagon. Two years ago had the DPF cleaned but it blocked again this year. Was told by cleaning company that it was burnt out. They sourced a 2nd hand original unit and cleaned this. This didn't work for more than 2-3 weeks. They've now sent a new DPF with the correct internal structure and substrate (i.e. not the usual aftermarket stuff). This also doesn't work. i.e. fault codes for blocked DPF within a day. During this time I have racked up sizeable bills of £1300 at Carlssons Saabs of Dorking, who are nearly as frustrated as I am. These guys know their stuff and have replaced EGR valve, all manifolding and removed and dispatched the DPF on each occasion. We thought we had found the answer in a blocked/faulty rear exhaust box (which was fitted a couple of months ago) but limited performance has struck again without the back box fitted.

My question is - is there anything that we have not done that we could have done? Carlssons have the correct diagnostic gear and the fault codes always show blocked DPF.

Thank you everybody. I am £1800 down on this so far and it's either a simple solution or the end of the road for this car, which I have enjoyed for 5 years.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
These guys should know more than most however I would be looking at the readbacks on the DPF back pressure..you could have a pipe or sensor issue...or even over fuelling/injector problems etc Take a look at the thread below ...I believe limp mode is triggered at 50kpa.

http://www.uksaabs.co.uk/UKS/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=180745&start=20

Not sure why they replaced the EGR and manifold as simply disconnecting the EGR for a while would serve to troubleshoot to see if the DPF continued to give a problem even though you would get an engine light it wouldnt effect performance....that would worry me a bit.

Also added

http://www.uksaabs.co.uk/UKS/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=181356

Worth investing £20 in opcom if you have a laptop....then you can see all the DPF read backs etc
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2017-V1-64-Vauxhall-Opel-Diagnostic-tool-Tech2-OBD2-Diagnostic-Code-Reader-OPCOM-/311851784384?hash=item489bd098c0:g:QzUAAOSwmCVY-HcK

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply - will ask about injectors - had crossed my mind - don't actually have a PC laptop but maybe I should!

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
The Saab WIS (workshop information system) has a walk through for troubleshooting DPF problems ..part of it looks at over fuelling either through sensor, splits in the vacuum system or injector problems.Its systematic step step by step.
A Saab professional should be able to tell you what they have checked...based on what you have said above it doesnt make a lot of sense to me to be swapping manifolds and EGR unless those above had been eliminated already.
Most of the remaps of the ECU turn the swirl flaps off and close the EGR completely and the cars run perfectly fine (better?) and regens are fine without them.
Again doesnt make a lot of sense to change the back box unless the readback for pressure on the DPF shows an increase because of it...again disconnect it measure the back pressure on the DPF...does it change?
The more I think about the more I think they have chucked parts at the problem........

·
Registered
85 Posts
Got to agree with those that are questioning all this work undertaken and still no resolution. What is the mileage as if it is high I can only speculate that high mileage has prompted those changes.

A couple of months ago I changed my EGR which cost £45 and took 20 minutes!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Boost leak or injectors would be my guess it keeps filling the DPF so you have an issue over fuelling. Pressure test the intake system first.
Mine has just done it after splitting intake hose.

I have Opcom and could see the pressure sensor readings where high. Removed the back boxes and it was the same. Checked the DPF sensor pipework was ok and that really was pressure at the sensor so knew the DPF was the problem.

Pressure washed out and 1 hole half way through the DPF to help it breath and all is good now slightly better MPG and mid-range torque.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all. Just to clarify - there was a blow from EGR manifolding so replacing seemed a good idea. I cleaned EGR and MAP sensor first of all and EGR has since been replaced. Garage have opened swirl flaps as much as feasible. 195000 miles so no spring chicken (I've done 100k) but almost immaculate car with FSH. SO - all points to injectors or some kind of overfueling?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Saab WIS (workshop information system) has a walk through for troubleshooting DPF problems ..part of it looks at over fuelling either through sensor, splits in the vacuum system or injector problems.Its systematic step step by step.
A Saab professional should be able to tell you what they have checked...based on what you have said above it doesnt make a lot of sense to me to be swapping manifolds and EGR unless those above had been eliminated already.
Most of the remaps of the ECU turn the swirl flaps off and close the EGR completely and the cars run perfectly fine (better?) and regens are fine without them.
Again doesnt make a lot of sense to change the back box unless the readback for pressure on the DPF shows an increase because of it...again disconnect it measure the back pressure on the DPF...does it change?
The more I think about the more I think they have chucked parts at the problem........
Thanks CJA, are you talking about a remap which deletes EGR and swirl flaps but not the DPF? I assume so as you mention regens.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Thanks CJA, are you talking about a remap which deletes EGR and swirl flaps but not the DPF? I assume so as you mention regens.
Yes some do it by modifying the hardware ie removing and sealing the swirl flap holes in the manifold and blanking the EGR. Much easier and less hassle with a simple remap...its software also reversible.
MOT's will be getting harder to pass re smoke rules/physical DPF who knows when they will introduce an EGR check. too?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts