Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya all,

Just received a down pipe from a 1997 9000 2.3T with 40k miles of experience in really good condition.

I hoped it would fit my 1994 9000 Aero but it seems it has the cat as part of the down pipe, and no flexible part. Am I right in assuming that it is the incorrect part for my year of car?

If is the incorrect version, then it'll probably get ebay'ed but I thought I'd check with my Fellow Saabists first. I have the part number as 4526372 from the EPC, and mine I think is 4163945. Can someone confirm this?

Mark
:cheesy:

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah yes, good idea about the JT3", but I can't afford the sports cat yet, and I don't think the JT 3" will fit the standard cat... I guess Gun Gum will have to solve the problem for the moment...

Mark

·
Registered
696 Posts
If the o2-sensor is in the same place. it will fit. and you can buy the flexi pipe section of a 97 car along with it replacing your original cat. That's what I did. only I didn't replace the front section . So I have to put the cat back before the MOT is done.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Injectie:
[qb]If the o2-sensor is in the same place. it will fit.[/qb][/b]
The later cars have a support bracket bolted to the rear of the engine that the cat/downpipe bolts to. It's quite a heavy item and you really don't want it flapping around unsupported.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks peeps,

I don't really want it dangling around unsupported. Anyone any idea how much the standard down pipe costs for my '94? I asked a few places but they couldn't get a price.

Mark

·
Registered
696 Posts
Originally posted by BillJ:
[qb] QUOTE
Originally posted by Injectie:
[qb] If the o2-sensor is in the same place. it will fit.[/qb][/b]
The later cars have a support bracket bolted to the rear of the engine that the cat/downpipe bolts to. It's quite a heavy item and you really don't want it flapping around unsupported. [/qb][/b][/quote]Oops forgot about that piece.
Cause I kept the original front pipe I also use the standerd rubbers in which the pipe is supported on 94 cars

·
Registered
778 Posts
Mark, I would keep that downpipe and use it. All you need is to go back to the yard where you bought it and see if they'll give you the bracket. If they don't want to do that you could always buy the bracket from Saab - it can't be that expensive. I'm sure that it would be cheaper than buying a new downpipe from Saab Also, are the '97's OBDII equipped over there? If so, then you'll need a plug to stop the hole in the side of the cat, for the 2nd 02 sensor. I've got a JT downpipe on my Aero - I simply welded a bracket that attaches to the bracket that's on the engine. If anyone is interested in seeing other pictures related to my 9000, follow the link.
zeke's 9000 page

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The pic of your car on your site looks V good.

Thanks for the advice, however I think I'll search round for another one as I want all the pipe work to be sound and the same as normal, so I can remove/swap it over easily if need be (and I'm not a great mechanic )

Mark

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by robert lavergne:
[qb]Also, are the '97's OBDII equipped over there?[/qb][/b]
As far as I know, no UK 9000s had OBDII so only a single sensor (if any at all).

Nice photos, Robert
Never seen the green giants before.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts