Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am possibly looking to replace the downpipe on my '95 N reg Aero manual. I am aware of the possibility of replacing it with an all in one downpipe and cat, but, can I just get an increased diameter downpipe and keep my original cat?? If not, I cannot justify the cost of the 3" version so I will get a std one. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Not sure about a 95 Aero downpipe, as to whether it has the earlier 93/94 style downpipe plus serperate cat, or the later 96/97 combined downpipe and cat....?
Have you looked.....?
If it's the earlier seperate type, then yes, you could get the 3" downpipe with the adapters to use your original cat.
If it's the later all in one type, then no, you won't be able to use the cat, you'll have to get the 3" downpipe plus a seperate sport or race cat, or get the cat bypass pipe section, and do away with the cat. However, you'll need to put the original combined downpipe/cat back on for the MOT test.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
hey that's cheap - so I could pay 160gbp for the downpipe without cat, and say 50gbp for the 3" cat.
I'd then cut the end off the non-cat downpipe and add the new cat. I'm sure there must be other issues burried in there, but it would save me about 170GBP for my troubles...

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have to admit, I havn't been under there myself, but I will do my best and get under there as soon as I can. The prices from the main dealers makes the JT version look cheap to be honest.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Originally posted by faero:
[qb]aeropilot - I was thinking you could fabricate your own 'combined' cat/downpipe (i.e. a copy of the all in one type) [/qb][/b]
Looking at the picture of the Catco on the Summitt site, it looks identical to the one supplied by Speedparts to go with the JT downpipe, which if that's the case.......

·
Registered
548 Posts
Summitt Racing does sell the identical 3" cat, but at much lower price. Also check their K&N air filter prices. With the GBP/USD rate at 1.80 even with shipping and VAT the savings from USA sources parts can be very worthwhile.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.