Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any advise about ? any experience ??

obvs higher spec but is it worth it ??

found 2 litres on ebay 12 quid its the same if not cheaper than dot4 from a factors so wanna get it when i fit these new brakes and do the whole system ??

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts
keep to standard with a fluid change will see good results, trouble with ebay you dont know they bottling tbh this goes for oil or anything

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts
Without going into physics of dry and wet boiling points and to answer your question dot 3 4 super4 and 5.1 can be used although i still wouldnt mix and suggest vacuum of system before refilling with a different grade.........these are all poly glycol based pag fluids

However the use of dot 5 can not be used as it is silicone based and does not have the lubricating properties of glycol based fluids therefore not recomended for abs systems and can make brakes feel spongy to name a couple

So for anyone else reading this its important not to get confused between dot 5 and dot 5.1

·
Premium Member
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so as long as i flush the dot4 out dot5.1 can be used ! although dot5 has a different composition so its no good ?

did i get that right ??

·
Premium Member
3,778 Posts
Use DOT4 mate - you are trying to make you brakes better, more feel and bite then 5.1 wont do this is what he is saying (i think)

·
Registered
107 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,778 Posts
It's not going to improve brake feel but neither will any other fluid,
In this case It will give a better 'feel than 5.1 for the reasons Kez mentioned. Also if the fluid is old chances are it has absorbed some moisture so will have degraded and new fluid will feel 'better' imho :) .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts