Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to be getting more wind noise intruding into the cabin. As there are no tears or rips I guess that door seals have compressed or taken a "set" over the years (car is 1996 vintage. Tweaking the closure mechanism (if this is possible) will probably make matters worse in the long run, by further compressing the seal.
I wonder if anyone has had any success in using anything to soften or "revitalise" the rubber?
My first thoughts are something like a silicone grease or one of the plastic/rubber sprays for cleaning trim.
any suggestions?

Cheers

Alyn

·
Registered
623 Posts
I seem to be getting more wind noise intruding into the cabin. As there are no tears or rips I guess that door seals have compressed or taken a "set" over the years (car is 1996 vintage. Tweaking the closure mechanism (if this is possible) will probably make matters worse in the long run, by further compressing the seal.[/b]
I had the same problem, and I noticed that it was way more noisy in winter than in summer. I have a '87 9000t16, so my seals are much older than yours)
I fixed it. For free. (new door seals were 120 euros each). That's how I did.
I "bended" the whoel door. I had the window down, put a little wood spacer between the A pillar (windshield base) and the door, and pushed toward the centre of the car, like if I had to close th door. I had my hands on the upper front corner of the door. Then I did the same thing on the other door pillar, the rear one. I bended it too to the middle of the car.
This wasn't hard to do, because the door are pretty soft to bend. The window still scrolls up and down with no problems, like it did before. The wind noise is gone, even until 220kmh. The door was just a bit harder to close for the first days, then it came back normal (or I got used to).
I didn't invented myself this procedure, my mechanic saied it's the normal procedure for body shops to fit doors into cars.
I still have some rubber hoses (like windshield washer hose) between the seal and the A pillar, I put it from the front side of the windshield. I put it in before I bended the door frame, and they helped a bit. I don't know if now it could work even without those little hoses, but they don't harme me here they are and I'm not taking them out.

I hope this helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.