Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a nice mirror to mirror contact on a narrow country lane. The mirror housing and mirror are okay but the pieces inside have taken a bit of a bashing. Does anyone out there know if there is there a source for the mechanism inside the mirror as I don't fancy paying the £172 for the whole mirror unit

Thanks

Gordon

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Hi if you are on about the electric motor that screws to the casing? these are usually all made by the same company so if you go to your local scrapyard with the old part you will find the same is fitted to Ford/vauxhall/Citreon etc they all have the same spacing for the screws and the same D-shaped wiring plug with 4 wires at the motor only diference can be the mounting ring for the glass but you can easily see if its the same there is only two or three different types anyway.
Hope this helps
Edit Sorry just re-read your post and if you get stuck I have a few 9000 mirrors knocking around so if you can't find anything in your neck of the woods I might be able to help you

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I had the same thing happen some years ago on my '87 9000T where the glass ripped itself out of the innards. In my case, the glass was broken too. All that white plastic, motors, etc. is called the "drive unit" and it's available separately. As I recall, it was only something like £35 + VAT back then from a dealer. The glass was a lot more - I ordered mine at 40-odd quid, and by the time it arrived a couple of days later, the price had gone up to a ridiculous £60-odd!
Luckily, I'd paid in advance.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I recently paid £20 for a complete mirror unit. Lot easier than replacing motors etc. but only useful if you don't have colour-coded mirror surrounds of course. The source? My local scrappy.
Bargain!

John.
----------
'86 9000t16

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by santeria589:
[qb]I recently paid £20 for a complete mirror unit. Lot easier than replacing motors etc.[/qb][/b]
Certainly a lot cheaper, but I wouldn't say easier. To replace the whole mirror requires either removal of the door panel to disconnect and reconnect the wiring harness, or dismantling of both the old mirror and new mirror to disconnect and reconnect the harness at that end. In either case, I'd have thought it would be easier to simply dismantle what's left of the broken mirror (already partly "dismantled", I assume) and reassemble with a new motor assembly.

£20 and an hour's work sounds pretty cheap to me, though. Just being pedantic, as usual

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by santeria589:
[qb]only useful if you don't have colour-coded mirror surrounds of course.[/qb][/b]
As far as I know, none of the 9000s ever did. There seem to be three types of door mirror fitted - one for '85-'89, one for '90-'93 and one for '94-'98. I don't know whether they are interchangeable. Best to try to get the right one.

The drive unit, however, is exactly the same for all years, so if you can't get a match and it looks like the mirrors are different or the replacement doesn't fit, you can simply swap out the drive unit. As I remember, it's only held by 4 self-tapping screws and has (I think) four wire connections to it.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Kevin Mc:
[qb]I'm sure it was standard on the later 2.3 Carlsson's - here's wrighar's 2.3 Carly:[/qb][/b]
Looks like you're right. The Carly I was looking at is a 2.0.

It does look rather nice.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Standard on mine as well. Although I have just had accident with garage door and strong wind (blame the xmas brussel sprouts overload!!! ) so my passenger mirror is now missing 1/2 its colour coordinated plastic and some of the mechanicals too!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts