Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would cause car to loose power upon exceleration?

Car is a 9000S, 92 model, automatic trans.

It had been warmed up for about an hour when I pulled into a station to fill up with petrol. I put in about 10 gallons, and then upon
t r y i n g to depart, I noticed how the car faultered and seem very hesitant to moving. It seemed like it really wanted to just idle out. But it didn't. I decided to turn it off and pretent nothing happen and when I did, it restarted and and acted normal again.
It has restarted without repeating those symptoms about 4 times now.

Can anyone tell me what might have been the problem? Or what I should prepare to brace for next? Oh, I understand the DI thing has been replaced about 3 months ago. I have had car for only 2 months. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Neophyte

·
Registered
46 Posts
something as simple as a faulty/old fuel filter. they should be replaced annually (in my opinion becuase of low cost) along with plugs, wires, cap/rotors (where applicable) ect...

i do it on both mine regularly.

·
Registered
46 Posts
you have to ask to figure it out!

i should add any fuel issue such as a poor fuel pump, i do recall my 900 having the same issue quite a few years back.

and the filter can seem to occur when the car is warm as the pressure has allowed debris to accumulate greater then when first started...

my boat had the same issues with a carb and basic filter...

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Would a dirty fuel line/filter clear itself just by shutting off the ignition and re-starting? Possible I suppose if the pump is swithced off and on again. Did any error messages show up on the display panel to indicate any faults?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for the feedback. I was wondering about the issue of it restarting and then driving smooth again after I restarted the engine. Can someone offer as to whether or not this would indicate the fuel filter needs replacing. I mean, did it pass a blocked spot or something

Also, exactly where can I spot the fuel filter?

I did notice the check engine light illuminate steadily while the car went through its hesitation phase. Any more ideas? I welcome all. Thanx

Neophyte

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Fuel filters are generally just simple paper element filters. From what I've been told, sometimes when you accelerate hard, brake hard, go downhill or uphill or whatever, depending on the layout of the car, sludge can be dragged up against the paper. Once its there, the action of the pump will keep it there, and it will cause a blockage. When you stop the pump, it will settle again until something causes it to be stirred up.
It sounds like this sort of thing could fit what you had.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Oh I forgot to say... I recommend that if you have any doubt you get the filter changed anyway. They are a cheap item, and as I've found on another car can make an amazing difference to the smooth running of the engine. If you do it yourself, don't forget to depressurise the fuel system first!

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Also, exactly where can I spot the fuel filter?  I did notice the check engine light illuminate steadily while the car went through its hesitation phase. Any more ideas? I welcome all. Thanx  [/b]
On my 87 9000 the fuel filter was at th rear of the engine bay just in front of the bulkhead - metal coniater with two banjo bolts is what you are looking for.

You should be able to retrieve any fault codes stored and the number of flashes will indicate what it might be if there is one - there is a list buried somehwere in this site - try searching 'fault codes'.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Originally posted by LocoSaab:
[qb]You should be able to retrieve any fault codes stored and the number of flashes will indicate what it might be if there is one - there is a list buried somehwere in this site - try searching 'fault codes'. [/qb][/b]
I think that is only Trionic engines. Older cars can be persuaded to give up their codes, but it is more involved. Also, early LH types don't store faults.

I think though if the car was about to stall then this would be why the light came on - it comes on if the revs drop too low, I think because the oil pressure drops.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts