Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently noticed that the gears were jumping when changing from 1st to 2nd (MY93 9000 2.0 LPT manual) and thought I could get it checked out at the next service (car approaching 143K miles)

What happens -Busy Sunday afternoon with total clutch failure at the IKEA store in Croydon - lots of loud crunching noises trying to get it in gear whilst everyone else is watching and smirking as they pull away in their MPVs and Ford Focuses

Got towed back 70 miles by the AA and left car outside my house.
Asked local garage to collect car whilst I was at work only to be told by my wife that instead of towing it, they just jumped in , crunched it into gear and kangerooed it back to the garage less than 1 mile away.

Now I may not be a mechanic but could this cause other damage to the gears or am I over reacting?

Any ideas on how much it is to replace a clutch ?

The moral of the story - get the clutch fixed as soon as you notice any thing untoward and don't leave it too late.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
I've driven a fair distance myself without a clutch... it's not the easiest thing in the world to do but is quite feasible.

After all, the clutch only really serves to a) get you moving smoothly in the first place and B) make up for the fact that you haven't matched the engine revs exactly whislt changing gear.

Clearly, if you get B) right, you don't need a clutch. I sometimes try it because I've got a paddle clutch which is as subtle as a brick.

As far as a) goes, the 9000 is a pretty strong beast and the engine catches quite quickly when you start it in 1st gear. Unless they drove it all the way in 1st gear with the starter (v unlikely indeed!) you shouldn't suffer any long term affects.

Depending upon the garage, labour will be between 4-6 hours to replace the clutch.

Parts wise, the clutch plate is about £100 and you would be well advised to replace the slave cylinder at the same time (about £70).

HTH

·
Registered
430 Posts
Going back a few years most of the cars I owned spent as much of their lives being driven without a clutch as with one. The only thing that was a bit awkward was starting off from rest as Mark A says - I just stuck the car in gear ( 1 st gear for a morris minor or 2nd for a rover V8) and engaged the starter , then off we went.

I seem to remember that most of the rally drivers that used left foot braking had to perform clutchless gearchanges, unless they had three legs of course.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reassuring words

Just got car back from garage - turns out it was only the master cylinder that needed replacing.
Car is now back to normal - wallet £195 lighter

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.