Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never had this problem before in the 5 years I have owned the car but this year all the on line insurance companies are refusing to insure the car unless it has a security device. I have had the alarm removed when I first got the car as I was having problems with the car opening itself.

So does it have an immobiliser. Its a 92 9000CDE.

I have also just bought a 9-5, give me 9000 to work on anytime!!! What happened to all the space under the bonnet

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Even if not mandatory, most companies will discount the premium for having an approved immobiliser fitted. A Thatcham Cat 2 will suffice, and is cheaper than a full alarm, and will probably save you money over the years.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Originally posted by microcat36:
[qb]they were not fitted until 1995/1996 even then only to the aero and griffin in 95 [/qb][/b]
VSS fitted from MY95 onwards I believe, standard on Griffin and Aero, extra cost option on CS and CSE for MY95, standard on CSE from MY96 I believe.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Yeah I had to get a Cat 2 immob fitted to my 1991 9K before anyone would insure it, but the cost wasn't too bad.

The stupidest one like that was when I had my £200 XR4i, a couple of companies told me I had to get a Cat 1 installed!
I told them I'd be worried about people breaking into my car and stealing the immobiliser if that was the case.

I also asked with the 9K if it would still be required for 3rd party, fire and theft. Answer: yes. Reason? Well, if someone steals your car and knocks someone down, your insurance may be liable!
So, I said, let me get this straight. If you borrow your mate's car without asking, you're not insured, but if you steal it, you are? Answer: yes!

Insurance: devoid of logic since 1784

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.