Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else notice that some days the car just doesnt feel as it should ?

Either I have got used to the car now after the Abbott work or sometimes it just doesnt go as it should.

For instance, long trip yesterday and the car just did not seem to have the same low down boost as usual, and yet once up to motorway speeds it pulled like a train from 70mph. I did have the wife and kids with me and most trips I dont, but, they cant add more than 100kg in weight total. Aircon was on as usual.

Back to this morning, again the car just doesnt have the low down fireworks that I seemed to be getting before, but, it still seems to go just as quick.

The only change has been the fuel I am using, usually I was regular BP unleaded, Friday I filled up with the new BP stuff, not sure what it is called, ultimate maybe ? I filled up with that thinking it was the equivalent of super unleaded, certainly its price reflected that !, is it the fuel ? or just me getting power hungry !

Cheers

·
Registered
335 Posts
now rebuilt and going like a train, my 2.3fpt feels the same regardless of loading (i was gobsmacked how it went with 5adults and a bootful of chrimbo shopping this weekend, until i checked the comp and read 21mpg)..
but.. it definitely seems to get a bit of extra go when its cold and crisp / felt flat like something was wrong in the summer heatwave

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've had the same feeling about my '98 Anniversary 2.3 FPT (Aero engine) since I bought it over a year ago. Some days it pulls like a train from low down and others it feels like an lpt. I have been running on Optimax for the past few weeks (having used the cheap stuff before) but not really noticed much improvement. The only difference is marginally better consumption and genuine boost into the red when floored (and when in a good mood). I suspect the APC solenoid but neither my local Saab dealer nor independent Saab place were able to identify any obvious faults. I expect I will end up biting the bullet at some point and simply replace the solenoid but I bet it makes no difference! Ho Hum.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Yeah, mine's the same. It's always really difficult to tell what's subjective and what's objective, since humans are generally pretty bad at judging speed (for example, try driving at 90 for 10 miles then slowing down to 60 and see how slow it feels!)

All the same, I agree, I am sure there is a variation with my car .. it's mood, as you say. I've come up with all kinds of theories... it's air temperature, it's relative humidity, it's random, it's driving style, it's engine temperature... you name it!

I've never really been able to pin it down though. Yeah, probably the APC solenoid as you say, but even when it's flat I seem to get good boost on the gauge... just not the
to go with it.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe cars are like people and have "off" days !

Mine has only just had the APC valve fitted by Abbotts as mine started life as a lpt 2.3

Ill get it checked out when I am next up there !

At least I am not the only one who suffers from this

·
Registered
103 Posts
The output of a turbo engine will vary with many things, one of those being the density of the air going into it. On cold days the air is denser and you will get 'free' bhp. On warmer days when the air is thinner you will get less. The response of my 95 9000 LPT can vary dramatically. On cold crisp mornings it is great fun......

Hope this helps, enjoy the winter
cheers
wayne

·
Registered
110 Posts
Like a woman? I think mine wants it all the time. It's just that sometimes she makes me go more slowly than other times..

And she takes time to warm up a bit..

And sometimes she just stops for no reason. And I guess we all have those times when she's really hard to get started in the first place, but that's to be expected as some of them have been around the block a few times already.

I understand that with my little 2.0t I don't really understand how a fast saab is supposed to feel, but I know mine has on and off moods. Must be something wearing out, can't have been like this from the factory?!

Pete

1 - 8 of 8 Posts