Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, any advice please

I have 1990 9000 turbo with direct ignition. Just started to get rough idling, usualy after idling for more than 20 seconds, when driving generally Ok , but slight misfire/lack of power at times. changed spark plugs, old one's showing sighns of rich mixture, Air filter was changed about 10 months ago, previous owner had to change DI unit , but used a second hand replacement, could this be at fault, any way of testing unit, or could the fault be somewhere else.

·
Registered
865 Posts
had same problem with 1990 9000s 2.3 di replaced di everthing is ok now. i still have old di if you want to try it .car would run perfect for days then miss two or three times then run ok. only sure way to find if is di is to try a known good one.best of luck.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Mal,

Dirty fuel injectors may have a similar effect. The problem may not be noticable for first few seconds as tickover is normally higher for a short while after cold start. If this is the cause the quick and easy solution is a good bottle of fuel injector cleaner - but make sure it is CAT compatible if you have a CAT.

I had always thought that DI packs fail under load, as has been my experience, but you learn something new every day on this site! Incidentally, latest bulletine on St George Saab site states that Saab fixed the common problem on DI packs back around 1995, so new units should be much less problematic.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts