Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

DO ALL 9000'S HAVE DI RAIL'S

Tags
rail
2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  billj 
#1 ·
DO ALL 9000'S HAVE DI RAIL'S

#6 ·
In light of Jason's comment, I think I stand corrected. Here is some more info.

1985: At the Stockholm Motor Show Saab presents the direct-ignition system, Saab DI, with an ignition coil for each cylinder.

Model Year 1986: The 9000i 16 was introduced during the year with a 130hp 1985cc fuel injected engine. Four valves per cylinder, electronic ignition and a knock sensor.

Model Year 1987: An important innovation for 1987 was the introduction of a watercooled turbo. Water cooling meant increased reliability and longer turbo life.

Model Year 1989: Saab DI was now fitted to all turbo-charged engines.

#8 ·
Originally posted by Jason (Mr Torque Steer):
[qb]If it was an MY '89 thing, that must mean that my Carlsson WAS an MY89 not MY88 as I thought. It was registered in Jan 89 but it had the plain black rear decor panel NOT the multi coloured jobby on other 89 cars. [/qb][/b]
Carlsson's didn't come out until MY89.

89 and 90 were 2.0l
91 and 92 were 2.3l
93 were Aero's

#13 ·
Originally posted by Wasaabi:
[qb]Anyway to the point, what exactly is a DI... rail? [/qb][/b]
Rather than use a single coil and distributor, the DI rail has a coil per cylinder, and sits directly on top of the spark plugs. It enables very precise individual control of timing and spark duration, and also provides information back to the ECU on the burn by measuring the ionisation resistence across the plug gap. On later turbo models this is used to detect knock.

#15 ·
Originally posted by Scaero (Maptun stg3):
[qb]All 2.0 litre turbo's from 1989
All 2.3 litre turbos (they started from 1991)
All 2.3 Injections (they started from 1990?)
All 2.0 Injections from 1995?[/qb][/b]
I can't confirm or deny the injection models (thought they all had distributor ignition?) but I was sure the 9000CD got DI in 1988, ahead of the other turbos.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.