Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, that's right, Convert your stock shifter into a short shifter. Cost is under $10 and reverse lockout is maintained. Reduces the throw by 38%, 40% is the maximum that is possible. Shifting now feels amazing.
Enjoy,
Eric

Eric's Saab Site - DIY Short Shifter

Stock

Short

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Very cool ERP. Wonder how different it would be on a 9-3? Viggen already has reasonably short thows but could be better. Does it all fit under the shift boot?

Cheers, and good job!

Dubbya

·
Registered
374 Posts
wow ERP...once again with another do it yourselfer!!...i might have to give that a try in my '96 900 and see how it works out for me...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Eric,

Is there any lateral movement after the change?
Looks like the fulcrum point is higher, but wondered what type metal you used to prevent the lateral movement during shifting.

DC

·
Registered
137 Posts
I contemplated a different design concept since deducing the lateral movement to introduce new problems.

What if a very thick spacer was used to raise the fulcrum point. Perhaps several spacers stacked on top of one another. Each having holes drilled in four places to secure them to the top of the housing using bolts.

You could add a spacer to change the throw of the shifter, as long as you drilled holes the same to match the bolt patterns.

Something to think about. Think that deserves a start or two...

DC

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I fixed the lateral movement problem by adding a third plate, the shifter is now very stiff.

The spacers sound like a more complicated design. And adding more spacers would not change the throw distance, it would only change the shifter height. To change the fulcrum point both the shifter and housing need to be moved the same distance. 30 mm is the maximum fulcrum change possible, and I now recommend that anyone trying this only moves the fulcrum by 25 mm. It just makes the entire process easier.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I did a DIY short shifter on 2 9000s by now (mine and another member's '95 Aero). On the 9000 it's easier, as you don't have to cut and rebolt the aluminium box, because there's none. It's enough to put 4 stack of washers under under the sphere housing. I spent exactly 0€ to do both, The only expense would be 36 6mm washers per car but I had them lying around so I spent nothing for them.

I found that 12-13mm (half an inch) were enough to shorten the shifter, obviously the levers on a 900 are different. Raising the mounting isn't just to leave the knob at the same height than before, it's to allow clearance for the rods against the car's floor.

Other plus, on a 9000 the procedure is reversible, when you sell the car you can remove the mod. The only thing that needs to be sawed is the collar for reverse protection, but I got one in a junkyard and cut that.

I'm not saying that I invented this procedure for the 9000, actually, I got inspiration from some people on TSN (Chad and AJagodnik). I'm saying this just because I noticed that nobody has mentioned a DIY short shifter for a 9000 on Saabscene before me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts