Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...Ok, most of you seem to have convinced me.

Still not 100% about the JT system, but it's cheap and effective by all accounts, and I am going to get Howe Engineering in Stevenage to do the install for me to avoid that hassle.

Adds about 20% to my insurance premium (Privilege, incidentally) but I can cope with that.

Anyway - do your worst - convince me I shouldn't do it.

Zip
97 9000 Aero 110k miles

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have four shiny, silver covered circles of metal in each corner which are gripped by little rough pads when I press a pedal in the car for stopping.

And I think I have what's known as a "steering wheel" (circular thing right in front of the driver) for turning corners.

At least that's what I've been told....

Anyway, as is my style on ski slopes, turning is for girls...

·
Registered
323 Posts
But seriously......does anyone have a standard suspension/brakes set up on a Stage 3!

I did all that prior to my speedparts stage 3 and I think the car would be undrivable as standard with a stage 3, you just will not be able to use the power, but you will want to try and scarey things will happen!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I ran stage 3 with standard brakes and suspension, I thought the standard Aero set up was very poor, I never got around to doing the handling department as stage 3 very quickly helped destroy my gearbox and nearly new saab clutch
....that was speedparts not maptune....it was good fun trying to race other cars balancing it out between wheelspin or slipping clutch

·
Registered
382 Posts
i have a 9000 maptun stage 3. sorting your brakes and suspension, will add dramatically to your enjoyment of the conversion. stage 3 in the wet will make your car very tricky around fast corners, you will need to uprate your suspension to avoid uncomfortable situations. i reckon my 2.0lpt stage 3, with uprated suspension and brakes would get the better of you every time.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Posted by Peter
i reckon my 2.0lpt stage 3, with uprated suspension and brakes would get the better of you every time.

Out of curiosity, what choiced have you made for the suspension and brakes?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi Zip

I had a Maptun stg 3 fitted by Howe Engineering about 2k miles ago - this is on a 2.3FPT (110k miles) rather than an Aero.

Straight after I was getting massive clutch slip if I booted the throttle carelessly in 3rd, 4th or 5th and last week the head gasket went, both just been replaced (along with 2 cracked exhaust valves
).

As the man in the shop said, adding a stg 3 will highlight any weaknesses... just keeping fingers crossed that no more major expenses are round the corner.

However... do I regret getting a stg 3? No way! It's a real buzz every time I press the throttle, and the performance is so effortless you only truly appreciate it when you see how far back all the other cars are

Not sure about how Stg 3 on standard suspension would be as I had Abbott springs and Konis fitted a while before, also Brembo discs and Mintex C-tech pads to help stopping power.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Sounds as if the suspension is the way to go before the extra power, then!

Actually, I bet it'll make the Aero's standard 225bhp a lot more useful (on the power out of corners earlier, carry more speed into corners, &c)

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Whats the verdict of the stage 3 on a 91' 2.3fpt auto with 120k and a fsh, would it work just curious!.

It's the auto box I'd obviously be concerned about, or it just a "no go'er".

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I've been running Stage 3 since late September with pretty much standard suspension and brakes since then, I have done a couple of track days like that with no problems.

I do have an LSD, and more recently a front strut brace.

Only mods before the stg3 was all poly bits to replace the work rubber bushes and DS2500 pads on new brembo disks (I used these disks before anyway).

Andrew

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
How do you find the strut brace/lsd, I called Europarts today about them, but they dont cover mine, 91' 9000, so I guess (if I'm going to get one) it'll be Elk.

I'd go to Abbott but they want £195 for the same dam thing, no way!

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Originally posted by Axl:
[qb]How do you find the strut brace/lsd, I called Europarts today about them, but they dont cover mine, 91' 9000, so I guess (if I'm going to get one) it'll be Elk.

I'd go to Abbott but they want £195 for the same dam thing, no way! [/qb][/b]
The front strut brace has really sorted the patter and skip from the inside front wheel on bumpy corners allowing better control and more speed through corners, it's also cured loads of those annoying rattles from the dash

The LSD, Now that's something else, it can really transform the car. The more power you have, the tighter you can corner (up until both front tyres let go - then it get's really really exciting...).

corners, roundabouts and tight bends are made for this! The car begs to to go faster and harder and adding more power just helps the car round

When cornering, the front OUTSIDE loaded wheel gets the power when normally the inside would be spinning and pushes the car into the corner not out.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Originally posted by Axl:
[qb]I'd go to Abbott but they want £195 for the same dam thing, no way! [/qb][/b]
Theirs is stainless steel, so it's not really the same thing. Unusually for Abbott, I don't think that price is too bad.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Well I wont be doing anything with the car from Maptun. it's to old (91') just had an email from them, they cant help ,oh well!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts