Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I intend to disconnect my battery this weekend to reset the ECU.

As the car was run on Safeways fuel before I bought it, is it possible that the ECU has adapted to lower octance fuel so that despite the fact I have now run it on a few tanks of optimax it isnt adapting for the higher RON?

If I disconnect, how long should I leave it before re-connection, and what sort of driving should I do when I first take it out?

Anything else I have to be wary of when doing this (besides shorting the battery)?

Manys thanks.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
A few seconds should be more than enough. If you're really keen, go for a cuppa, then come back and reconnect. Then start looking for that little card with the radio code on it. Oh, you can't find it? Perhaps you should have checked this first

Anyway, the quickest way to adapt it (and how a dealer would do it) is to take it for an adaptation run, as described in: http://www.saab9000.com/adaptation.html

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For a few weeks now I have had a lovely Pioneer Head Unit and 6 disc changer, so no need to remember codes.

I dont have a boost guage, but I know a nice long uphill near me where I should be able to do 40 - 100 in 4th. Not that I would drive that quickly.

Only a few seconds for it to all reset? There is no backup in the system, to power it for small disconnection times?

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Other things that might get upset/need some attention afterwards include:

Security system
Radio

Certainly Trionic does adapt and I think what can happen is if it sees a limit being approached, it will back things off and keep them there, and not increase allowable pressure again. ISAT offers a facility to do this, failing that the other way is to de-power it for a while.

The process you're going to undertake is referred to as "adaptation". In the past I've done it by leaving it off overnight then going out (early, nice cool air ) the following morning and giving it a good thrashing.

There's a slightly more technical description of it here:

http://216.78.172.244/Trionic/trionicpg1.htm

Enjoy!!

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info.

I will disconnect the battery on Saturday (negative lead off isnt it?), then get up bright and early Sunday morning and head for the hills with a full tank of Optimax.

Perhaps I should not set the alarm and just use the central locking before I disconnect.

If it can increase the power I would be happy, as I still havent had any wheelspin in 2nd or too much torque steer :

1 - 7 of 7 Posts