Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could somebody help me with the size of the front discs on the 9000 3.0i V6 (8/94-8/96) and the 900 2.0 (88-93)

Also if you know of upgraded larger discs I would be interested in information.

Many thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I want the largest possible to fit within 16" wheels so 308mm sounds ideal. Any ideas on who supplies these? Can I source standard discs from another model of at least 290mm? What is the largest standard disc fitted to a Saab and as it's probably 5 stud could I get it re-drilled for 4?

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
Welcome to saabscene ashh!

I don't know about redrilling discs. It's not something I would fancy as it would take a lot of metal away just where the forces are being transmitted from the disc to the wheel/hub.

Don't forget that bigger discs will need to have the caliper moved outwards or a new caliper or a new hub. Otherwise the outer edge of the disc will foul.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
By spacing the existing caliper out on a larger disc it will give you a greater braking effect. Obviously if you also have a greater pad area this will give you a greater and more controllable braking effect too.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
By fitting bigger discs you move the point of pressure between pad and disc further away from the centre of the hub, thus generating more braking torque for the same amount of pressure.

It does also make it possible to use bigger pads, increasing the surface area and thus lowering the pad temperature, which is another benefit.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Fitting spacers to move the caliper further out was a common mod on VW's Golfs etc. with the smaller discs. Allegedly an effective upgrade to the braking system, but never got round to it on my Jetta GTI 16V.
Never heard of it being done on anything else...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the help, I haven't found any appropriate std discs yet and am considering 310mm Rotors with Alloys Bells to fit with the Brembo 4 Pot Calipers that I have bought.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.