Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

This is my first post - I've only just found this group !

I've had my 1993 9000CS (auto) since new. It's actually an October '92 build so, it doesn't have air bags etc. It's been great
car except for a collection of faults when new. But now I have a problem I can't fix.

The left hand side of the EDU in my instrument binnacle has gone dim. It's been an intermittent problem for the last 2 years, but seems to be hard on now. The EDU has two parts to the display. The RHS shows the gear selection and has diagnostic messages (eg. "Check Engine"). The LHS displays average fuel consumption, current fuel consumption, distance to empty etc.

The LH display is now about 50% dimmer than the RH. It's wierd because the auto-dimming still works on both sides - the LH display
just gets dimmer still.

Does anyone know what the cause might be ?

Many thanks

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Sounds like the bulb has begun to blacken. There is a piece going back in the archives about replacing these somewhat fiddly bulbs.
Set the top RHS of the web page to look at posts from the past year. It is there somewhere.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I agree with Zaphods suggestion, with the possible alternative that a poor contact has developed in the wire connection to the bulb.

If when you check the bulb it doesn't look black, check the connector to see if corrosion has occured or the contact is secure and well made.

It must be a localised problem as I am sure the electrical feed must be common close up to the bulb holders.

At least it's not the display dimmer sensor adjacent to the clock, as this necessitates a new clock unit which ain't cheap!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Hi,

I have the same problem on my 92 9000CS, but the right side is dim. I haven't got round to sorting it yet but I put it down to the bulb being out, and the dim light is the other bulb showing through from the left. The easiest way to change the bulb is to take the top of the dash off, ther is an article somewhere telling you how to do it.

Neil

1 - 7 of 7 Posts