Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I meant to ask this ages ago,my 89' 9000 turbo doesnt have the proper computer in the instruments,its the one for the Auto,cause' it says 'PRND321',instead of the LCD bars that 'move' as you change gear.
Now either it has been 'clocked'or for some reason he's changed the clocks,whats the verdict?

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Either the pannel has been incorrectly replaced with one from an Automatic, or the car has been converted from an auto gearbox to a manual.

The former is most likely, of course, as it is alot cheeper! This doesn't necessearly imply that someone has modified the milage on the clocks, but does beg the reason why the change occured.

I once heard that 9000's are very difficult to 'clock' the milage, but have never enquired as to why.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
A bought 10 years ago, when I bought my first 9000, a 1985 Turbo the EDU didn't work at all. After replacing the backlight bulbs it showed the PRND123 indication but this was a manual car. It turned out that the wrong plug was connected at the back of the clock. There are 2 plugs there, one is for use when the DCC computer unit is fitted, it is worth checking.
The EDU on that car also showed the automatic indication when the battery volts dropped excessively low when the battery was failing, but sorted itself at the next re-start.
So both the manual and automatic cars use the same EDU but a fault can cause a manual car to display the auto gear indications.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Derek

What do you mean the wrong plug!I didnt notice any 'spare'plugs at the back.
Iv'e just had a look at a spare computer,and theres 3 block connectors that come off it,but thay all 'plug' into connectors at the back.
Having said all that,I remember looking at a the instruments on a manual ages ago,and the way the 'light' got it I could see that it didnt have 'PRND321' it had the proper 'setup',so what now.
By the way what is DCC?

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
My 1990 2.3 manual on the display unit that shows long term fuel economy and the "instant" figure has the PRND indicators on it.From my reading only the Auto had a gear indicator and that the manual didn't have anything.

Steve

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
The "wrong" plug is at the rear of the clock. There should be 2 plugs there, one for use with the normal clock (the one that tells the time)and one for use with a Driver Co-driver Computer (DCC) which enables you to work out average speeds, estimated time to destination and other things. The DCC unit fits in place of the clock. They are not necessarily connected wrongly it is just another possibility for the auto reading.
A car the age of yours will not have the bar-graph display for instantaneous mpg unless it had the EDU I unit but as far as I'm aware, turbo models had the EDU II , which toggles through Outside air Temp, Battery Voltage, Average MPG and Instantaneous MPG (not necessarily in that order) although later cars have a different EDU with a bargraph which may have auto and manual versions.
If in fact it is an "Auto" EDU why would someone have fitted it? The only reason I can see is that they may have changed the whole instrument cluster, possibly to fit a speedo with a lower mileage! I hope not.
I note that like me you are also in Scotland and a motorcyclist (mine's a Ducati) :))

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi derek

Thats exactly what I mean eg 'clocked'(at the bottom of your letter).I going to have a 'butchers' at the back later to see whats what,cause' Im going to the scrappy this afternoon to try and get a 'swing arm',yes thats the bike coming out.
I noticed your also into bikes and have a 'duke',I had (but will get another,but not neccessarily the same)a an 750 'Kat',and an FZ 750 till' the begining of the year,but like I say I'll get another soon,dunno what though!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts