Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking around and visited an American site (shame on me I know). The chat over there always talks of the 'Linear' being 175bhp, and the 'Arc, Vector and Aero' as 220bhp. My understanding is that in Europe this is not the case. The Linear being 150bhp, the Arc and Vector 175bhp and the Aero 220bhp. Is this correct and, if so, why is there this difference?

I have to say it makes it hard to gather an opinion on a model as if you don't realize the difference then any comparisons are inaccurate when you are the other side of the pond. For example in the USA they rate the Vector as being faster than a BMW 325 (0-60). However in the uk or France it would be considered a bit of a laugh to say that. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
5,133 Posts
US models were linear,arc,vector(aero in europe)(might have missed one),same engines..don't think they had the 1.8 version.

until they had to change vector to aero,because of a company already called vector over in the US..

Then US aero had the 2.8 V6...

·
Registered
539 Posts
I have a vague memory that in USA you can quote gross BHP (without alternator, fan, water pump and the like) and in Europe its net BHP 'as fitted'. That was in the 60's though. Might explain it.

In the summer I went to Washington, New York, Boston and the like. A fair few SAABs around in that bit of USA inclusing the odd classic 900 looking good. The main difference between modern SAAB (9-5, 9-3) UK and USA cars that I saw was that over there EVERY bonnet badge was faded and looked shoddy, here it's just some.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a vague memory that in USA you can quote gross BHP (without alternator, fan, water pump and the like) and in Europe its net BHP 'as fitted'. That was in the 60's though. Might explain it.

In the summer I went to Washington, New York, Boston and the like. A fair few SAABs around in that bit of USA inclusing the odd classic 900 looking good. The main difference between modern SAAB (9-5, 9-3) UK and USA cars that I saw was that over there EVERY bonnet badge was faded and looked shoddy, here it's just some.[/b]
Thanks. I'll try and see if there is a difference in the way that figure is calculated. It's weird as they claim the BHP of the Vector and Arc are over 200, even before they rebranded the Vector as the Aero. I assume the Vector, as we know it, simply ceased to exist.

·
Registered
373 Posts
The 150bhp turbo and the 1.8i non-turbo engines were never imported in the US.
Arc's had either 175hp or 210hp.
Vector's had 210hp.
The Aero badge in the US started since 2006 with the V6 engine.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 150bhp turbo and the 1.8i non-turbo engines were never imported in the US.
Arc's had either 175hp or 210hp.
Vector's had 210hp.
The Aero badge in the US started since 2006 with the V6 engine.[/b]
So why is there a difference? What you have posted is what I'd found. However the Europe Vector is 'only' 175bhp. Is there a 'fundemental' difference, or is it a mapping / tuneing thing? I mean you can Hirsh a European model to get higher BHP, but I assume you can do that in America, and get even more. Not fair!

·
Registered
373 Posts
The difference is in hp (210 instead of 220). :D
The US Vector had the high turbo B207R engine.
The Europe Vector you are referring to has probably the medium turbo B207 engine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.