Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope someone can help. I have just bought a 94 9000 CSE 2.0 LPT Auto with 102k on the clock. The car appears in very good condition, however I am slightly paranoid. Why? My old 9000 Auto had a box that over the last 2 years got progressively worse, and started slipping when changing from 3rd to 4th under low loads, and sometimes when it was hot under high load in top.

This box appears very much better, except that when I pull away from a standstill, it starts moving away smoothly quite happily, then gives a slight creak, almost like a tooth or something is slipping. It doesn't happen always. Also the 3rd to 4th change seems a bit abrupt if i really floor it (which isn't often).

Any thoughts on what the creak might be? I wondered if it might be a drive shaft rather than the box?

Also the car has no record of having a gearbox flush and gearbox filter change. Do you think I should get it done? I'm told it helps extend the life of auto boxes, but if its just a waste of £100 I'd rather save towards a gearbox rebuild, should the worst happen.

I'm not very mechanically minded, so all comments gratefully received.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
I've had my 9-5's ATF changed twice this year and last time added Lubeguard Red. Its a much smoother change and quieter too, I'd thoroughly recommend it!

If you are going to drain and refil, why not DIY?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I'm right that if I drain it, about 30% of the fluid gets left in. You can get people who actually force fluid in and out so that all of it gets changed, which I'm told is much more effective than a DIY drain, refill job.

Maybe I'm talking rubbish?

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
No thats true, its a kinda dyalisis machine for auto boxes.
I presume a little dearer as more fluid is used but you are right more effective. The DIY stance dilutes the old fluid rather than changes it.

I havent found a garage with such apparatus though

1 - 6 of 6 Posts