Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

My 9000 is sadly still cutting out, but not as often as before. It no longer dies at junctions since I replaced a vacuum hose with a hole in.

Now it cuts out and won't restart ( This happens at any speed, any where, any time, any temp..). In order to get it going again I unplug the DI and plug it back in again, then it'l go straight away guaranteed, but not always very far.

I have done new plugs but there was no effect. I know the DI is max 3 years old how long should they last?

You people are great I've learnt so much just from reading this page!

Thanks

Pete

·
Registered
454 Posts
I just replaced the one on my 94my , looked like the old one was the original but can't be sure as there were no date marking on it but the red top was corroded badly in one place so thats my guess.

·
Registered
231 Posts
The DI cartridge on my CDE 2.0 LPT (first registered February 96) was replaced in October 2002 so, (unless it was not the first one),it lasted approx six and a half years. Can't be sure because I've only had the car for three months.

The DI replacement last October cost the previous owner of my car £157.10 and £17.85 labour so perhaps you should get a definite diagnosis that your cartridge is the problem, even though it seems pretty clear that it is.

The experts here will know if it is a DIY job to replace the cartridge and, if so, where to look for the cheapest part.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hmmm - interesting idea.

What I actually had in mind was getting a SAAB dealer to plug in his electronic gizmo to see if any other parts of the engine management system had gremlins, or if only the DI has gone bad.

I have found Nick Whale Saab in Bradford Street very friendly to deal with (772 7755)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi!

Sadly I'd need it for quite a while to be sure, and togg probably wouldn't like to be stuck on his driveway for a week! Anybody is quite welcome to try mine out for a few miles though, as I can't really drive about now anyway. I guess if they had a spanner and their DI they couldn't get stranded.

The DI is a nice easy job to change but it sounds very expensive, and mine isn't very old? Has anybody heard of one going within a few years?

Thanks

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think saab told the previous owner there was nothing wrong, and he just put up with it. Then I got it and decided I'd be able to put it right. Much worse now though, it used to be every 2 - 300 miles.

·
Registered
92 Posts
When my DI started to go the fault was always intermitent - some days it would start on the 1st flick of the key other days it would take a dozen attempts. My local specilaist plugged in the Tech 2 and no faults appeared and he suggested trying a second hand unit on a try before buy basis and it cured the problem.

He also suggested replacing the Plugs at the same time since they have a habit of burning out when the DI starts playing up.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anyone know where I could get one to test with around the Birmingham area?

Cheers nutter that sounds kind of like mine, I changed the plugs last week and one or two seemed quite worn compared to the others.

Pete

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Peteysmithy,
Have you checked the condition of the terminals both in the DI socket and the flying lead that plugs into it. It may be that there is corrosion or burning causing an intermittent connection. It may be possible to get the pins out of the plug to clean them up but the ones in the DI you will have to clean insitu.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
It hasn't happened to me, but since disturbing the plug restores operation then it seems there is a likelihood of an itermittent connection at the plug/socket. I'll have a look at mine at lunch time and see if anything can be got into.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I had a look at the connection and it doesn't look like the plug on the lead is easily got apart. It is easy to see the pins in the DI and mine are nice and clean and shiney, the receptacles in the plug are also nice and clean and shiney (what I can see of them). It occurs to me that these receptacles have a U-section shape and slide over the pins in the DI to make the connection. Could some of them be too loose a fit?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.