Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick one hoping for an quick answer/comment. My second 1995 90K miles Aero , just back from 1,000 faultless miles in France, refused to restart at the community Recycling cntre. I was igniminiuously pushed out. AA came and found no sparks, Low Voltage power and signals to the DI. So another DI I imagine.

I plan a send hand one from Neo as before, that worked for another 50K miles on my previous '95 Aero.

On my previous aero this happene around 100K and only one or two cylinders were misiing. This time there is maybe the odd hicup but basically nothing firing - the AA guy said they go that way as well, but no smell of electrical nastiness.

Any comment?

QUESTION: Can I use Red or Black? I recall Black is Ok as a retrofit for Red BUT red is not suitable for later cars.

And finally, I had just changed my plugs for the correct recommended resistive Champions 1,000 miles ago.. Is there really a potential problem there? If Champion sell them as correct fitment I can't believe a small difference should destroy what should be a bomb proof piece of automtive engineering in this crucial function. I could put the old NGKs back in until I can find some new ones.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Your DI will/did die from non-correct NGK plugs being used, T5 needs exact spec plugs.

Bosch, Champ ect. will sell you plugs but not buy your new DI's...

·
Registered
133 Posts
If the AA says there are no (trigger?) signals to the DIC I would suspect the crankshaft sensor first. Does your rev counter needle move when you try to start? If not crankshaft sensor is likely to be at fault.

To be sure, easiest would be to find a fellow Saab driver nearby and do a quick DI swap for testing. For testing (and testing only) a black one will be fine as well but in the long term you definitely need a red one for your car. When you use a black one on a T5 engine the ecu's capability to detect knock is severely affected. I would not take the risk, especially not with an Aero.

And just to repeat it one more time: Never use anything but NGK plugs on a Saab with DI. I also have seen some DI failures after people installed the wrong plugs, thinking that those expensive fancy shiny gold platinum turbo xl pluggies would be much better :rolleyes:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Ah, that rules out the cps. New DI and NGK's is what you need...

Oh, and beware of cheap (chinese) imitation DI's, won't last long. Get an original one, they are much cheaper in the long run.

And if you plan to get a second hand unit and wonder how old it is: there is a 4 digit production date code stamped on it (YYWW) ;)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Black DI WILL work in your engine.
BUT, while it delivers a longer spark duration (good) it has markedly differing Knock sensing (potentially Very bad). Especially so if you don't religiously use Highest Octane fuel Or have 'tweaked' yer engine in any way
Some use it happily for years. But then some win the lottery :)
Are you a gambling Man?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi all.

It was the DI. BTW I dismantled it. Nothing to see, no smell of burning!

A VERY special thank you to Paddy77 who drove his Red S/H unit over from Dulwich so I was up and runing on Saturday. He posted some other useful bits so I am giving him a recommendation as a trusted seller andgeneral nice guy.

As Lilly von Stumph famously said of Sheriff Bart, "Wot a nice guy":)

Thanks "Paddy".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts