Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Since the full 3'' exhaust system and performance airfilter are already ordered.. i've decided to say 'what the heck'.. and order the speedparts ECU upgrade. HOWEVER..

There are conflicting opinions as to where the control boxes are in the car.. some say under the seat.. some say under the false bulkhead behind the battery in the engine compartment.

I went hunting.. so I could get the currently installed serial/part numbers..

Under the seat.. these control boxes exist.. what are they?

Both the small one and the large one are stamped 'Hella' when you disconnect the big one.. the engine refuses to start..

I opened the false bulkhead.. and found the following control boxes.

I assume this is the DI/APC control unit?

Is it correct to assume that this Bosch unit.. marked Jetronic is the fuel control box?

There is only one number on the APC unit.. but there are several numbers on the Jetronic box.. any idea which one they'll want?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
The Bosch one marked Jetronic is definitely the fuel injection controller! The 10 digit number starting "0280" is the Bosch part number. All Bosch items have a 10 digit part code. That much I can say for certain, the rest I have no idea about, sorry

I think that number should uniquely specify that part. A lot of the bigger parts seem to have that 7-digit number too but I've never seen it referred to anywhere, so I can only guess its a manufacturing batch code or something like that.

May be that the numbers on the white paper are software versions, but they look more like stock codes or something to me

Anyway, if you have to give one number for the fuel injection, it would be the 10 digit one.

Hope that helps a tiny bit

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
The silver box marked 'Jetronic' is indeed the fuel injection ECU - you will need the 10 digit number to identify it so you get the right chip.

0 280 000 910.

The black box is the DI/APC controller. That's the one you'll need to send to Speedparts - rendering your car an lpt in the meantime...

How do I know about the DI box? Well - I held a custom programmed one in my hand last Saturday...

But then again, I might be tempted to go Trionic on my c900 - if I can get someone to reprogram it. Stock T5 management and aggressive camshafts don't go together well, as my friend Damien from Caifornia found out. He used to have the same camshafts in his SPG as I have right now, but after converting to a 9000 Aero T5 set up he had to put the stockers back in...

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well.. yep I've just confirmed with Speedparts..

The Jetronic box is indeed the fuel controller.. the number they need is indeed the one like 0280 000 910.

The black unit is indeed the APC/DI controller . 910853 in this case.

And they were under the bulhead.. Speedparts needed to know about the exhaust and filter too.. so they could program the chips for 'stage-2'

They said if I supplied those numbers.. they'ld ship the chips.. which I would install my self into the boxes..HOWEVER... she asked if my car had TCS.. I said.. yes.. she said.. Sorry we don't supply chip-upgrades for the 89to93 cars with DI/APC and TCS anymore.. they caused too many problems... The price to add 46hp was only gonna be 1850 kr. about 180quid..... now I have to talk to Abbott..! at 399quid..

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well.. the DI/APC upgrade chip and wastegate bits have been ordered from Abbott.

Their upgrade apparently gives 40 horsepower extra.. only upgrades the DI/APC .. not the Jetronic side.. and includes a modification to the wastegate on the turbo.

So that combined with the exhaust and airfilter.. should give err.. spirited performance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.