Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Certainly Saab has made a better job with 9-7X than 9-2X. Especially front design is nice. Also the rear side window has typical Saab influence. Inside the dashboard looks Saabish but if you look carefully many parts are directly from Trail Blazer, e.g. switches, air conditioning block, radio. Even the 4-pole steering wheel is from Trail Blazer, only middle part of it has been changed. I believe there is no modifications underneath so driving a one would not be any different to Trail Blazer. I suppose Saab needs more models to survive but I still would not like to see this model in Europe. After all it is just Trail Blazer with cosmetic changes

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Yes, it does look to be a rather better disguise than the 9-2X, but as you point out, the interior nods itself towards Saab but it is not convincing me that this car contains more Saab DNA than Chevy DNA.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The GM debate remains fascinating.
Interesting to note about the 'fastest growing premium brand in North America' - did it say somewhere in there that sales were up by 27% or something?

All good, but GM needs to follow the Ford lead and let Saab retain its own individuality and strengths.

Interestingly, I was reading that Jaguar is looking at a new roadster again, yes, the F type, and that everything will be Jag designed and owned..... suggests that Ford heard and learned from the criticism following the X type / Mondeo development.

Let's hope that GM listens and learns and allows Saab to quickly bring a replacement for the 95 to market - a car that retains Saab designs and quirks but goes back to old style Saab reliability......or will we get a Holden chassis, rear wheel drive, Isuzu engine, Vauxhall dash.....

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I have to say, the interior looks slightly better than I thought it would. Air-vents are good, although given that the Cadillac Escalade now has them it'd be a crime if the 9-7X didn't.

Centre-mounted ignition will appeal to those buyers looking for something just-a-bit-quirky, and is that a 9-5-stylee cupholder I can see to the right of the stereo?

9-3SS-influenced gauges look good, too. Not sure about that big ugly gearknob, though.

James

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
On the RH wing mirror of the Saab, the text says: "Other Saabs may be more badge-engineered than they first appear."

The interior of that Chevy just made me spit me tea out
It's truly frightening. Probably innovating in the mid-70s, though.

The 9-7X still appears, to me, to have more Chevy DNA than Saab DNA I'd rather have the new Land Rover Discovery.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
chevvy truely awful..I agree and very typical of the yank tank
however if you look at the saab you can see that the hard points are still there but it is soooo nuch better and ,I believe ,to be close to the Saab DNA IMVHO...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Comparing those interior pictures really proves that the modification has been made as cheaply as possible. We Saab enthusiasts notice that DNA is definately from the Chevy. Door panelings and controls are practically unchanged, co-driver side dashboard is the same except the air vent. Also gauges are same, only dial number font is different. Steering wheel almost unchanged. Why Saab couldn't have designed a whole new dashboard from the scratch ??? Saab made reasonably good job with 2nd generation 900 design which was actually re-designed Vauxhall Cavalier/Opel Vectra. This time it really looks like the job has been made with toy town money though better than the 9-2X. We still need to wait for the next real Saab which, I suppose, will be the 9-3 Sport Estate...

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Originally posted by Kari:
[qb]Comparing those interior pictures really proves that the modification has been made as cheaply as possible. We Saab enthusiasts notice that DNA is definately from the Chevy.  [/qb][/b]
Absolutely spot on, sir!

·
Registered
374 Posts
no its deffinetly not a saab..but i must say..it looks really good!..great interior, verry welcoming...and nice outside, the low stance and the great front end...but its just isnt a "true" saab...

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
The question is however: what IS a true SAAB? I remember /John starting a topic on this along that same line.
I can only say that the people who did the re-design of the interior at least had the good sense to put the ignition where I would normally look for it in my 9-3. The same cannot be said of the 9-2X. A trivial point perhaps, but heay, James Bond likes his Martini shaken, not stirred . It's those minor differences that raise the profile .

·
Registered
8 Posts
To paraphrase a former Australian Prime Minister, this is the SAAB SUV that we had to have. That said, it looks alright, in a desperate attempt at Saabifying a Chevy kinda way. I'm just glad the donor vehicle is LHD only.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts