Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what the 'V' or 'R' mean for tyre speed ratings? ie. supposedly the correct type for mine is 205/55 VR15...
And would it really make that much difference if i put tyres for a 9000i on my 9000turbo?? Thanx 4 any advice!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well you will get more detailed responses than mine I am sure but the ratings are speed related.
Tyres come in 3 main ratings.
HR= tyres for your average small, really not very exciting car (ie not saab!)approx speed rating of 110mph
VR= minimum trye rating I would use on any car I own. approx speed rating of 130mph
ZR= highest speed rating for tyres, a absolute must on anything with serious performance! approx speed rating 150mph+

Also rather importantly is the insurance issue! If you hads an accident in you saab (god forbid!) and you had the wrong rated tyre (for a 9000 turbo it is VR minimum!) then your insurance company could refuse to pay out!! And since it is hard enough to get money out of them at the best of times.....

In short...don't cut corners!

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
The HR tyre (185/65 R15 87H) (speed rated at upto 130mph) is actually the default tyre size on the 1990 9000i - 195/60s are an option. And Saab do say that the 185/65 R15 87H can be fitted as on option on the 1990 9000 Turbo. Having said that I've driven my brothers 2.3 FPT and it does need the wider tyres to keep it glued to the road!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Highlander hasn't got the speed ratings quite right, I think he was guessing! Actual speed ratings as follows:
Q=100MPH, R=106MPH, S=112MPH, T=118MPH, U=124MPH, H=130MPH, V=149MPH, W=168MPH, Y=186MPH, Z=Not Restricted.
The term "speed rating" is somewhat misleading, as most will never attain the maximum speed stated on the tyre. It should be considered a performance rating, as it represents the standard to which the tyre is built and able to withstand the forces generated by the vehicle. It is quite legal to put on tyres of lower rating than stated in the manufacturers handbook. That is as long as you are never going to drive above the speed that the tyre you pick is rated for. Few people are ever going to exceed 130MPH in their cars, and that is an 'H' rated tyre, which is now the industry "bog standard tyre", that you'll find on Ford Fiesta's, Vauxhall Corsa's etc. Just remember that the speed limit in this country is 70MPH, and you cannot be prosecuted for not putting tyres onto your car that are rated for 150MPH - legally they only have to be good for 70MPH.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Forgot to say above that I have previously checked with a couple of insurance companies, and they agree with the Law, i.e. your tyres do not need to match the car manufacturers recommendation - they only need to be legal!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.