Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been playing with photoshop and why oh why don't Saab offer a dechromed version of the new 95? It certainly looks a lot better than the horrid chrome 'Dame Edna' glasses!! I'd show the images but I can't upload any pics??

The chrome headlights 'look' is the only thing that's putting me off buying a new 95......suppose I'll have to stick with my MY02 Aero Estate until Saab sort out the naff GM chrome bling!! Not very subtle.....

Regards,
namb

·
Registered
101 Posts
When you are driving the 95 edna style car you do not actually notice the front of the car and very few vehicles that one follows has a full height mirror where you can see the front of the car. I actually only see the front of the car about once a week as it is always parked front in to any parking slot. <g>

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
When you are driving the 95 edna style car you do not actually notice the front of the car and very few vehicles that one follows has a full height mirror where you can see the front of the car. I actually only see the front of the car about once a week as it is always parked front in to any parking slot. <g>[/b]

To me, a car is a lump of metal to get me from A to B, in as much luxury and with the appropriate performance as I can afford. External appearance, (to me), counts for nothing, as verified by the fact that the last cleaning my car got was back in 2005. (The recent heavy rainfall has done wonders to the appearance)

There are many on this forum who care more on what their car "looks like" than what it is engineered, (sadly inadequately in some areas), to do............

Neil

·
Registered
98 Posts
Its called pride Neil,something you may regret not having when you come to sell it! I have to wonder why you use this forum if you don't care for your car. Its outside is just as much part of its attraction as its mechanicals.

Peter

·
Registered
101 Posts
Many years and many Saabs ago I swapped a 1979MY 900 cooking version (very basic edition, it had a mechanical distributor, no engine management system apart from a carburettor, no power steering, 5 door) for a used Turbo, the trade in had been cared for in my usual way - closely aligned to Neil of Stevenages, but correctly serviced. The garage commented later on the very good paint finish, a result of being protected by a caring coat of dirt and no weekly wash and grind process.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Its called pride Neil...[/b]
"Pride" or narcisism?

As I stated before, a car is just a means of getting from A to B. Why worry, (and pay for), what it looks like from where you cannot see it?

Would you not travel on a "dirty" bus or train?

(And as for trade in values - for a Saab, don't even go there.......)

Neil

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Just to add a note of clarification/explanation of my views.

I once had a manager whose pride and joy was his aged Volvo estate. His wife, and mother of his two daughters, was involved in a collision whilst driving his Volvo transporting a group of young Brownies. On hearing of the mishap his first thoughts were of what damage the Volvo had suffered.

A car is just a lump of metal..........

Neil

·
Registered
136 Posts
Everyone's different I suppose.
How many times do any of you look back admiringly at your car after you've parked it ?
...and how many times do you look back at your wives/girlfriends after you've said goodbye to them ?

·
Registered
98 Posts
OK Neil,I guess we will have to beg to differ. It is not narcissism that makes me look after my car,it is the desire to keep in good condition something that I have worked all my life to afford to own.I don't know your circumstances or whether your car is a company one,it shouldn't matter. A car for me (and I guess most of us on this forum) is not just a lump of metal,it is our interest and joy to own. In short,we are Saab enthusiasts,something which you do not seem to be able to grasp. Yes I would get on a dirty bus or train because it is not my place to keep it clean. Your Volvo owning acquaintance is at the other end of this discussion and not even worthy of consideration.I am proud of my 9-5 and I'm proud to say it. If you enjoy riding around in a scruffy car that's your choice. Please don't expect me to admire you for it.

Peter

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have been driving Saab since 1971, 96, 99, 900, 900 turbo (maroon, green, silver, silver, white, white, red), 9-5 estate (Grey, silver) all bar 2 of them I have owed, and one of them I bought off the leasing company and kept if for a further 7 years. Currently have two Saabs in the stable and neither of them get washed except when they get serviced. They are useful tools.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've been playing with photoshop and why oh why don't Saab offer a dechromed version of the new 95? It certainly looks a lot better than the horrid chrome 'Dame Edna' glasses!! I'd show the images but I can't upload any pics??

The chrome headlights 'look' is the only thing that's putting me off buying a new 95......suppose I'll have to stick with my MY02 Aero Estate until Saab sort out the naff GM chrome bling!! Not very subtle.....

Regards,
namb[/b]
Guys....think this link will work. Basically a grey car with chrome 'sort of body coloured' plus a red version. Some chrome has been left on 2 of the images. I think Saab should offer this option......hey I used to be an option on BMWs years ago.....and offered as standard on Sport models....have a look and see what you all think.....maybe we should have a partition into Saab!!

I still can't get the saab image site to work....so here's a link to my yahoo album

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/nambutler...re2&.src=ph

I'm seriously looking into this but wonder how much the parts would cost to buy, spray and fit? I want to retain the original parts so that I can put back to standard when I sell in the future....??

Some of the comments so far.....not bothered with the look....just A to B......then buy a Skoda or other box
Admiring glance back as you walk away....absolutely!!
Decreciation.....high if you sell in year one/two......I've had my My02 from new.....so about 3.7k per year (which is significantly less than my car allowance I get from work) with a value now of about £6.5k trade in....bad, but a BMW/Audi/Merc over the same time would have lost more money (I'm not interested in the % value because they are very misleading). Note I didn't pay full rrp when I bought the car which can make a huge difference to the sums

So....comments welcome....

Regards,
namb

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.