Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you may know, my car "appeared" to be boosting much higher than a normal FPT. At the meet I got a chance to see exactly how much boost it produces with the aid of Andrew and his calibrated boost gauge. After a run in my car we then went out in Andrews to compare the differences.

1) 9000CD 2.3 FPT

Fortunately it wasn't long before I was able to find a long straight bit of uphill road on which I could use full throttle in safety as the limit changed from 40mph to 60. Mr Torque-Steer did it's stuff and boosted for all it was worth to send the in-dash boost gauge flying off the top of the red section and holding this level of boost between 2000-3000 rpm. This amount of boost translated to around 21-22psi, which I work out to be about 1.44 bar, pretty good I reckon!

A few second gear accelerations showed that boost dropped off to around 14-15psi (0.965 - 1.034BAR) which it held up to the red line. Boost levels did drop with each subsequent hard accleration, perhaps due to the temperature of the intercooler creeping up steadily.

2) 9000 2.3 Carlsson

Andrews Carlsson was suffering from a suspect PCV check valve and didn't perform quite as well as it might. Certainly boost build up was slower and peak boost arrived later than in my CD, this is probably opposite to the normal characteristic of Carlsson's which is that of frentic acceleration and punchy low-end torque, so comparison's may be a little unfair. HOWEVER, although the Carlsson's in-dash boost gauge only showed the needle just entering the red section, the actual measured reading was pretty similar to mine at around 21psi (1.4 BAR)!

Conclusion

If your not sure if your car is boosting properly, buy a calibrated boost gauge.

I may have a chance to put a red box APC in the CD pretty soon, I'll buy my own calibrated boost gauge and let you all know how I get on.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I picked up a cheap non saab valve this afternoon and fitted before coming home.

It has had a improvement below about 2500-3000 but little effect above.

Peak boost is still 20ish
Boost below 3000 now hunts between 17 and 18psi
above 3000 to 4500 is 15-16psi
above 4500 it tails offdown to about 8 at 6000.

So, boost below 3000 is up, plus it rises faster, and that was in this afternoons heat.

Andrew

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Originally posted by /john:
[qb]  QUOTE
Originally posted by Jason (Mr Torque-Steer):
[qb]
If your not sure if your car is boosting properly, buy a calibrated boost gauge.          

[/qb][/b]
I have - I just have to get Leon to install it for me [/qb][/b][/quote]Will I be needing a full workshop at the national

and a spell checker

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I 'T'd mine straight onto the back of the real 9000 in dash guage so both run.

The pipe is only about 12" long and runs from the T, between the tweeter and woofer with the steel rope under the dash top, and out at the bottom back edge of the A pillar.

I'm not sure where the best take off point is for a 9-3 or 9-3ss

Andrew

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.