Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my fairly recently rebuilt SAABTEC gearbox died on the way home tonight. I was in the rush hour traffic changing from 2nd to 3rd at about 25mph and I lost all gears and the box made a hell of a noise, sounds very expensive the RAC arrived within 30mins and took it to my local garage, I hope this rebuild lasts longer the the 6500 miles that the last box managed, failing a rebuild has anyone got a 9000 Aero box to sell?
A snippet of an email I received from Saabtec
Yes I sold this car to ***** *******,
we rebuilt the gearbox so no problem there  [/b]
HA

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
By the way, assuming your Aero's '94-on, any '94-on 2.3 full-turbo gearbox should do the trick, I think. If it's a '93, you're stuck with a gearbox from a '93 2.3 full-turbo. The final drive ratio changed for the '93 2.3T (and Aero), but then the whole gearbox (and engine block) changed in '94, leaving the '93 2.3T gearbox being rather unique.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was rebuilt just before I bought it so Damn and Blast and all those rude words, Bill how much do Abbott normally charge you for your gearboxes or are you getting discounts for frequent rebuilds?

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Isn't it always the way? However, does the warranty still cover the gearbox or does it expire when the original owner sells it?

Originally posted by mpen:
[qb]Bill how much do Abbott normally charge you for your gearboxes or are you getting discounts for frequent rebuilds?    [/qb][/b]
They come cheaper by the dozen

Seriously, though, I don't know yet what the cost will be this time as the circumstances are a bit complicated.

For £920 plus "Victimisation And Theft", Abbott will take a working gearbox out, fit an LSD, do a full rebuild including renewing some synchros, bearings, etc. (up to a point) and put it all back together. A bit more if the gearbox needs a lot of work and/or parts. They charge £720+VAT just to give you an LSD to fit yourself! MarkP told me the marketing term for this sort of pricing, but being an engineer, it went straight over my head.

Once the 'box is out, I imagine any further new parts would be priced at the cost of the parts themselves.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
bad luck...
I would recommend the abbott rebuild
I believe the re-build without the fancy bits is about 650
however the bits are the dogs danglies
btw it does not show mr elliot up in a good light considering the trouble you have had ...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts